When are fry not food?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jbg

AC Members
Dec 1, 2006
I set up a 55 g tank and put the 1st fish in on New Year's Day. It seems the Petsmart sold me a pregnant dalmation Molly. I have 5 in a trap and about 3 still roaming around in the tank. I'm sure the rest were delicious.

How big do the fry have to get before it is safe to let them out?

MollyBreeder

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Hawley, Pennsylivina
a good 4 weeks old

Kyohti

Curiouser and Curiouser...
Jan 5, 2007
Northeastern Oklahoma
N'yep. What she said. :p At least 1/4 of an inch and big enough they can't easily fit in momma dalmation's mouth!!! ^__^;;

jbg

AC Members
Dec 1, 2006
Thanks for the info.

I think the creamsicle molly they sold me is pregnant too. Any way to tell when she is about to give birth? The trap is small - I would feel badly about keeping her in there any longer than necessary.

maronov

AC Members
Dec 14, 2006
New York, NY
i put one of my platy in a breeders net and it tripped out. i think its far better just to have good hiding places for the fry. live plants are wonderful for this.
I completely agree. I also feel that this is more natural for the fry. Not exactly survival of the fittest, since they are placed in a limited (space-wise) environment, but still - there is a reason fish give birth to so many young.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store