2 angels fighting alot creative seperator?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jubjubrsx

AC Members
lately my 2 angels have been fighting like crazy and one is getting kinda beat up but not really easily being able to find a seperator or a second tank i thought of using some of those needlepoint nets.... with some fishing line attached to a rock to keep it in place has anyone tried this before to separate fish?:look:
kind of like
minus the thread

any thoughts?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
what size tank are you keeping these fish in?
is there a noticable size difference..could be you have two females or two males fighting for dominance.

is there any cover in the tank?

jubjubrsx

AC Members
what size tank are you keeping these fish in?
is there a noticable size difference..could be you have two females or two males fighting for dominance.

is there any cover in the tank?
well it seems like one is male and female considering their bottom fin look different one has alot of blue but the other has just a little...and its like a 40gallon tank i belive it is(there was 3 very large angels in there before one got lip fibrosis) but the side fins are gettin kinda beat up and i feel bad cause i dont want it to stress out and die....and yes there is a cover on the tank..

jubjubrsx

AC Members
well..these angels are big and yes there are some plants and what not...they are like about 3-4years old...i would say body wise they are like 3.5" circle body size. so kinda hard to hide at that size?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
you need cover as in plants, driftwood etc..the angel that is getting picked on can take refuge.

angels are very difficult to sex..unless they are spawning there is no hard fast rule that works.

I find that the males tend to be a bit bigger than the females.
in the case of my spawning pairs they are noticably bigger..however, that is not set in stone as in one pair the female is as big as the male.
I do notice the domestic angel males tend to have a more pronounced bulge on their heads(hump) but in my wild angels this is not the case..so as you see..you may have fish of the same sex..
I actually was able to get lucky and guess the sex of mine..when I had a femae in a pair die..I added what I thought was two females..turns out they were both females as they are both now paired up with mates and spawning.. a 40 is large enough to house the angels..

make sure you have enough cover for the fighting pair to retreat.

mrlimpet

AC Members
May 15, 2005
i've got another option for dividing your tank.
use eggcrate (available at home improvement stores, about $10 for 4' x 2'). it's easily cut to fit using wire cutters and easy to secure (i used suction cups).

here's a pic to show you what i mean...

you can slide the divider back and forth to give more room to the fish on either side - it doesn't have to go in the middle. and you don't need separate filtration for each side! :D

if you're using it to separate male/female that are just being introduced to each other, you can cut slots in the eggcrate that allow the smaller fish to visit both sides of the divider but still retreat to safety if need be. course that may not work with tall angels. :huh:

just another option...

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I have seen that work..(eggcrate)
used it on my breeding pairs in my 55.
funny how the parents fight but the freeswimmers could swim from side to side and not suffer any consequences..intil the pairs started spawning again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store