Strange clown death

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

spinx

AC Members
Nov 6, 2006
:mad: Ah jeeze:eek: . just got news that my one common clown died. I recruited a anemone crab and a mandarin goby this weekend. The crab didnt even last a day and now this???? Ive had 3 clowns and a damsel in there for about 3 months now and they were very lifely. Could it be that the crab caused this?:confused: My wtaer has been pretty stable. Ph 8.3 Sal 1.019 Amonia 0. I might have high nitrates but that shouldnt kill a clown especially not after it survived for so long??:confused:

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
it should be but that wouldnt kill it...
what did the dead clown look like?

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
It wouldn't kill the clown but, it would kill the crab fairly quickly if you didn't have a lengthy acclimation procedure. I would also assume that by lively you mean that the clowns and damsels like to chase each other etc? That is really a sign of aggression in s.w. fish and clowns and damsels for the most part don't mix ,"chromis being the exception." They are fairly closely related and don't play well with each other. I would guess that it was stress that took out the clown. Stress will also greatly lower resistance to disease etc. I hope that this helps you and please keep us posted.
Cheers
Max

spinx

AC Members
Nov 6, 2006
hi guys tanks alot. They arent agressive at all towards each other. i doubt the cause to be stress applied via aggression. He looked normal upon 'autopsy' Dont know what it could have been.

malexikeander

AC Members
Aug 31, 2005
From what I hear, Mandarin Gobies are really hard to keep... Do you have a lot of pods in your tank for them to eat?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store