Does skateboarding destroy property?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
I'm now accused of being an old crotchety man because my friend the skateboarder thinks it's wrong that people are told not to skate in certain places. I said it's only because skateboarding can damage property, and not because there is some big evil conspiracy against freedom and people having fun.

So here is the big question (which I think has a ridiculously obvious answer). Can skateboarding cause property damage?

boofish2

show me your fish
Aug 5, 2006
YES!! And don't make faces at people because your face will get stuck that way too!!!!!!! ;)

daayda3

AC Members
Sep 21, 2006
nope, unless your doing it in a way that will pull up the grass...

Chickieepooh2u

Ooo, Ooo! Pick me pick me!!
Jan 12, 2006
Norfolk, NE
www.myspace.com
Well... for the most part no. But I suppose if they were riding the rail of a nice banister it could chip the paint or something. lol Maybe break a flowerpot if they fell on it. Wheel marks in the grass? lol

The more pressing issue is... If they were to get hurt on your property, (which they do all the time) even if they weren't supposed to be there, they could sue you.

tai95

AC Members
Apr 24, 2005
Of course it can couse damage. Have you ever seen a curb that has been used as a grind area? If the curb is painted (fire zone, house numbers) the paint can be rubbed off. Not really a major thing, but if you have to paint it over every couple of months it could be a hastle. A lot of people will also wax grind areas curbs, benches, picnic tables this while not technically damage it is a form of vanndalism. Would you really want to sit on a bench and get wax all over you?

I think another reason skateboarding is prohibited in areas is the loitering factor.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Not only damage, but a safety hazard outside a designated area for them.

fish_freak

Retired Mod
Feb 15, 2002
Great Barrington, MA
Im all for skateboarding and I think its fine if you want to ride it to a designated area but I dont think that you should be able to do tricks where ever you please. Rideing it down the sidewalk causes no damage but doing tricks in front of some ones house does not to mention that noise that can come a long if you have a large group of people continually rideing in the same area. Around here all the towns have now built skate parks for them to use and have banned it from all non designated area's but I do belive that you can still ride the board just no tricks in non designated area's. My town which is small acctually has the biggest free park around and lots of people come to use it. Also the fact that they have a nice big place to go eliminates any of them from being in the street doing tricks any more. It has worked out quite nicely.

lazyNode

AC Members
Oct 26, 2006
Sydney, Australia
If you've ever seen an old lady get bumped by a blind skateboarder/bike rider riding on a pavement, and see the old lady fall flat on her face, her teeth knocked out - blood all over her face, a pool of blood on the floor and worse of all - her screaming out in pain and angst... how would you feel?

How would you feel if she was your mother? Your grandma?

How would you feel about paying for that old lady's medical bills. Or worse. Her lawyer.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002

fish_freak

Retired Mod
Feb 15, 2002
Great Barrington, MA
If you've ever seen an old lady get bumped by a blind skateboarder/bike rider riding on a pavement, and see the old lady fall flat on her face, her teeth knocked out - blood all over her face, a pool of blood on the floor and worse of all - her screaming out in pain and angst... how would you feel?

How would you feel if she was your mother? Your grandma?

How would you feel about paying for that old lady's medical bills. Or worse. Her lawyer.
This is quite irrelevant, an old lady could fall a number of way's. I was once on fifth avenue in NYC (Probably one of the most prominent area's) and some business man was in a hurry and knocked some old woman over. Her face was a mess but no one cared we had to call the ambulance. Just making a pint that this can happen anywhere on the side walk not just by a skate boarder.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store