Shipping fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Malbri

User
Dec 11, 2006
I thought we should start a thread with tips on shipping fish.
Im sorry if there is already a thread on this, it wont let me search it
So what do you guys ship em in, do you use like bag buddies or anything, all that stuff

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
i ship and receive a fair number of cichlids. here's my experience.

Don't feed the fish for 48 hours prior to shipping. This clears out their gut and reduces the amount of waste that collects in the bags during transit.

I make sure the bag is big enough to easily house the fish. The fish doesn't need excess space but should certainly be able to easily lay in the bag without being bent in half.

I use enough water to cover the fish by at least 2 times. The bag should be large enough so that once the water is added it only takes up approx 25%-30% of the bags volume leaving the remainder to be filled with oxygen. Make sure that no matter how the bag is positioned the fish is covered with water. We don't want a fish box to be set on it's side leaving half the fish out of water!! Can't trust shippers to read the "This side up" notations on the box.

Concerning the bags, I always get the thickest bag I can find and then double bag them. For larger fish with nasty spines (most large cichlids) I will even tripple or quardrupple the bags. Use a HEAVY duty rubberband. We don't want this snapping in transit! I will sometimes place a sheet of newspaper in the bags seperating the inner bags from the outer bags. This gives even more pierce protection and helps to insulate.

The box that the fish are placed in should be styro for insulation purposes but only needs to be large enough to maybe wrap a sheet or two around the fish bags. Tape the lid well shut. I usually place the styro in cardborad but i have received fish over the years that were in just the styro. Be preparred to use heat packs in bad weather.

Concerning the shippers:

AirBorne = HORRID. In 3 tries I have never had a good experience and will never use them again.

USPS = You get what you pay for. I find that 25% of the time they either are late or flat out lose your shipments. Their tracking capabilities are rotten. This is one of the cheapest routes but is also highly risky. Do not use this if you absolutely cannot afford to lose a shipment!! I have also heard that the USPS can confiscate your shipments if they think there are live animals in the package and you'll never hear from them again.

UPS = Not bad. Their tracking capabilities are excellent and they have a good delivery percentage. They are expensive but slightly less so than FedEx. I would not hesitate to use them.

FedEx = VERY expensive!! They also have excellent delivery percentages and excellent tracking capabilities. They are, in my experience the easiest to work with and the best at getting the job done. Just be preparred to pay out the nose. $90 - $100 from coast to coast for 10-15 lbs.!!

Malbri

User
Dec 11, 2006
What age should a fish be before you ship it

Like particualarly livebearers

ljse

AC Members
Oct 12, 2005
Is DHL good for shipping fish?

fish_freak

Retired Mod
Feb 15, 2002
Great Barrington, MA
Is DHL good for shipping fish?
DHL is the same company as airborne express. They have just combined the commercial carrier DHL with residential airborne under one name DHL. And not they are not good. If you do not live in a big city they will hire a currier to deliver your package and these guys are not reliable at all.

GirlieGirl8521

Planted Tank Collector
Dec 21, 2006
Alabama
USPS = You get what you pay for....I have also heard that the USPS can confiscate your shipments if they think there are live animals in the package and you'll never hear from them again.
I have always wondered if it mattered that there were live fish in the box. But a friend sent me some fish by USPS express and the words "Live Fish" were all over the box...I mean probably 10 times. I received the package at work and the mail guy here brought it up and wanted me to open it because he wanted to see if they were still alive. ;) I'm just glad the postal service didn't do anything to the box.

I have had good luck receiving fish through the postal service. I have shipped plants a couple times too and while they aren't as critical as fish, you still want them to be alive when someone opens them.

I use enough water to cover the fish by at least 2 times. Make sure that no matter how the bag is positioned the fish is covered with water.
I wish I had seen this post before now. I shipped some fish this morning and I think I put enough water to cover the fish twice, but not sure. I hope they have water if the box is tilted. Its my first time actually shipping fish so I've been all stressed out about it. Hopefully they'll get there safely and alive. :D Its kind of cold this week, so I'm still a little worried.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store