180 Setup Part I

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ahdonline

AC Members
Dec 11, 2006
Pittsburgh (Freedom)
I am just getting my 180 setup and wanted to make sure i was getting it close to setup correctly. I just finished the plumbing. I have my sump setup and need to make sure there is nothing else I am missing.

I have the return draining into my sump, where the protein skimmer, heaters reside, then its pumped from there via my little giant into my UV Steryl that will only come on for a few hours a week then force its way back into my tank. I have attached pictures of my setup of the sump. You will notice that there is one (1) plexiglass divider the only reason that is there is to prevent a whirlpool effect and mount the heater too.

Do i need to put some sand or divide this sump out more? Or will this do it for me? Im lost on most of the filtration setups on these, but understand the sand and live rock in the tank will take care of most of this for me.

My total goal is to have 2" of ultrapink argranite with 100 pds of live rock to start, then move over my other 100 pds of rock from my existing 55gln.

I want to get this done right, I am not in a hurry. I plan on letting the rock sit in there for atleast a month before i add anything to it to make sure it cycled.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Picture 001.jpg Picture 002.jpg Picture 003.jpg Picture 004.jpg Picture 008.jpg

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
It all depends on how far you want to go with it and how big the sump is really..my sump devided into three...Inlet, Refugium and return..i put live rock rubble, a deep sand bed and some macro algae in the refugium part...skimmer in the inlet and my return pump in the return area ( sounds a little obvious that last one does...he he he )..

Niko

ahdonline

AC Members
Dec 11, 2006
Pittsburgh (Freedom)
Yeah thats my main question is do i really have to divide this sump up? The guy i bought it off of ran it just like it is with nothign in there, but that doesnt seem right to me. This is my first run with an actual sump sw setup.

Reefscape

Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Yes, it can be run like that i suppose, but all it is really doing is giving you extra water volume and somewhere to store equipment..

What is the length and height of the sump?

Niko

ahdonline

AC Members
Dec 11, 2006
Pittsburgh (Freedom)
I dont have the exact measurements but i would say the sump is about 20"x15"x12"

WeeNe858

AC Members
Dec 16, 2006
you can run the sump like that with no plroblems.. the main reason for a refugium is to remove nitrates ad grow copapods... your main tank can do all of this too.. BUT if you have tangs they might eat your macro algae and your copepod source would not be allowed to grow cuz your fish would eat it.... just throw in alot of live rock in your tank

Reefscape

Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
I would imagine you could split it 70/30...70 being the fuge area, 30 being the inlet, you could then get some sand in there and live rock rubble, but you have to make sure that the return outlet is always kept clear of obstructions...You could build a small box of somesort to keep sand and bits clogging it up..Then you can have some macro algae in there to provide lots better filtration and greatly reduce Nitrates and Phosphates..

Niko

ahdonline

AC Members
Dec 11, 2006
Pittsburgh (Freedom)
Thanks. I plan on having a 2" sandbed, and 200pds of live rock to start with

So I should also go ahead with a few pds of live rock in the sump, and if i can figure out how i will put some sand in there. The outlet is pretty low to the base so it couldnt hold by maybe just shy of an inch

Reefscape

Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
It does sound low yes...Probably just go with some live rock in there, throw in some Macro Algae..Maybe upgrade to a bigger / different sump further down the line when your more happy with the setup...Am sure its gonna be fine mate..

Niko

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store