Getting rid of my Chinese Algae Eaters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

enrique4jc

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Russell Springs, KY
Real Name
Eric
Okay, so I have a bit of a dilemma. In my 29 gallon tank, I have 3 fish that were purchased at Walmart (I know) and labeled simply as "Algae Eaters." Someone on the board suggested that I find out exactly what kind of algae eaters they are, and even sent me over some pictures for comparison. The fish are lacking the barbells at their mouths, and so are undoubtedly Chinese Algae Eaters. I have been forwarned that they will eventually grow large and wreak havoc on my aquarium. I don't want that to happen, and so I need to get rid of them.

I would like to treat them as humanely as possible, and maybe even allow them to live somehow. Here are a few options. Let me know if each one is possible, and if it is recommended.

1) I have some friends who keep a koi pond in the back yard. I don't know exactly how big it is, but I'd say it is 200 gallon minimum. Would the CAE's survive in there, and would it be safe or advisable to put them in there. I would certainly not want to do any harm to their pond setup or their koi.

2) There is a wonderful flowing stream on our property. Would the CAE's surive in the stream, and would it be safe to the stream ecosystem. I do not want to do anything to disturb the natural ecosystem.

3) We have a 1/2 acre pond that gets about 17 feet deep at its deepest point. We have been waiting for it to fill up, and it is pretty much there. In the spring, we will be stocking it with smallmouth bass, channel catfish, and hybrid bluegill. Would the CAE's survive if released into the pond, and would it be advisable to have them there at all.

4) If none of these ideas are feasible, I will simply have to euthanize the fish in the most humane way possible.

What kind of advice can you offer? Thanks!

RiVerfishgirl

AC Members
Jan 15, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Real Name
Heather
1) They will probably die in the winter, they're really meant for tropical temps.
2) It is illegal to release any non-native species of fish into your states waterways. Also: See #1
3) See number 1
4) That would be better than releasing them, but personally I would sell or give them to someone that could give them a good home in the proper aquarium.

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
Why euthanize? I would put an ad on craigslist or other this forum and others. What about selling them to a LFS? Or at least consider giving them away for free before euthanizing?

enrique4jc

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Russell Springs, KY
Real Name
Eric
Well...I live in a small Kentucky town where we dont have an LFS for me to sell to. I have gotten most of my fish at Walmart, because it is the only place accessible within a 60 mile radius that I am aware of (I know, Walmart is the devil, etc, etc, but the one I go to takes good care of their fish).

I'd be willing to give them to another aquarium hobbyist, but there's no one I know who even really keeps fish other than a betta bowl or goldfish torture bowl. The fish are very healthy, so I would love for them to go to someone who could care for them. I just don't know who I would give them to.

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
Will the Walmart take them back? How long ago did you purchase them?

They might offer to take them back (for free though, with no credit?). Or maybe they can give you suggestions on where you could take them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store