Wild Caught Fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chunkoblue

AC Members
Nov 26, 2006
Glenwood, IL
Hi, I've seen the Illegal Fish Thread and I was wondering if there was a list out there of freshwater aquarium fish that are mostly wild caught... I'm interested because I would like to make sure I don't ever get a species that is only wild caught due to the environmental destruction and high casualty rates seen from specimens stolen from the wild. Perhaps this would be a good thread to start a list?

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
Hi, I've seen the Illegal Fish Thread and I was wondering if there was a list out there of freshwater aquarium fish that are mostly wild caught... I'm interested because I would like to make sure I don't ever get a species that is only wild caught due to the environmental destruction and high casualty rates seen from specimens stolen from the wild. Perhaps this would be a good thread to start a list?
perhaps... I know of many.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
why not list some then?
well okay, i thought this was simply the thread to suggest it, and not really the actual thread.

otos
all loaches except for dwarf chained and dojo
pictus catfish (I think)
sterbai, ornatus, elegans, and nanus cories to name some more common wild-caught cories.
pacus
most SA arowanas
cardinal tetras
most small plecos (except for BN plecos)
most syno cats

Last edited:

Aussie_hippie_2

AC Members
Sep 17, 2006
Wisconsin USA
www.myspace.com
This is a very helpful link since I feel the same way as you Chunk. I can't contribute since the ones I know have allready been listed, just thought I'd add my 2 cents.

chunkoblue

AC Members
Nov 26, 2006
Glenwood, IL
I'm somewhat saddened to see the sterba's cories on the list... although I'm pretty sure mine were aquarium bred.

fballguy

yum
Feb 27, 2006
Everett, WA
www.freshwaterfanatics.com
Figure 8 puffers are the only one I can think of that are not already listed.

Most places sell wild caught dwarf puffers, Petsmart is an exception, all of their DPs are captive bred. Unfortunatly most of them are very unhealthy by the time they get from the store to your home.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store