Building Large Marine Aquarium, Any Advice would be Appreciated

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

marineguy

Registered Member
Jan 17, 2007
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and was lucky to find this great place with so many aquarium enthusiasts. I’m building what is called a monumental Aquarium. The aquarium it self is going to be:

Length 14 feet (168 inch)
Height 8 feet (86 inch)
Width 6 feet (72 inch)

Gallon Weight: 5026

This would be basically a floor to roof commercial like aquarium in my own home. The viewing surface will be an 8 feet tall from a half a foot base up. I have done a lot of research and most would love to see if I could pull this off. My questions are basic I think. But I would be happy with any input would be helpful:

1. Where is a good place to buy custom Acrylic (Plexiglas)? Any specific companies or locations? How thick should the Acrylic Sheets be with this size of tank because of water pressure?
2. How big of a filtration system will I need? Are there any specific details I need to look at, any advice? Oh and it’s a saltwater system.
3. Because they system is so large I am think of making the sides, back and bottom another material and just have the front be Acrylic. Any advice on this? Doing this may also prove to be cheaper.
4. Any advice on where to find good exotic marine life to display in the Aquarium? Where is a good reliable retailer of marine life?
5. Any advice or point of views about filtration system on how to build etc.climate, or anything dealing with the aquarium and the design.

Thanks everyone!

ewurm

LOACH HORDE!
Oct 29, 2006
MN
For very large aquariums, check out MonsterFishkeepers.com

We have members who maintain VERY large saltwater setups in public aquaria. PM Zoodiver or Underwatergirl.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store