Injured Goldfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tony Chick

Registered Member
Jan 18, 2007
Sherman Oaks, CA
After 6 years, Raccoons got into our outdoor pond and stole all but one of our Goldfish. They were feeders originally but grew to a huge size. The one that survived was trapped under a stone and its tail is badly chewed and it has many damaged scales on one side. I've brought it indoors and have it in a 10-gallon aquarium that is much to small for it but it will have to do until I fix and strengthen the pool.

What can I do to help it heal?, Melafix or something similar?. Do I need to get it some company, or will it be OK on its own for a couple of weeks?.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
After 6 years, Raccoons got into our outdoor pond and stole all but one of our Goldfish. They were feeders originally but grew to a huge size. The one that survived was trapped under a stone and its tail is badly chewed and it has many damaged scales on one side. I've brought it indoors and have it in a 10-gallon aquarium that is much to small for it but it will have to do until I fix and strengthen the pool.

What can I do to help it heal?, Melafix or something similar?. Do I need to get it some company, or will it be OK on its own for a couple of weeks?.
I don't know if a really large goldfish will survive in a tank that's way too small for long enough, how big in inches is it? they need really pristine water for their fins to heal. i'd suggest getting a 55G aquarium to give them adequate space if something like this happens again or you need to QT a sick goldfish.

anyway... melafix will heal them up pretty quick.

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
grew to a huge size
i'm guessing this fish is over 10 inches? far too large for even temporary housing in a ten gallon tank. in a tank large enough (40 gallons), you might successfully get this fish back in shape with VERY CLEAN water with some salt added to minimize fluid loss through open wounds. in ten gallons, the fish is more likely to die than improve.

Tony Chick

Registered Member
Jan 18, 2007
Sherman Oaks, CA
Thanks for the feedback, this was the smallest at around 8" but it sounds like I need to get it out of the 10G tank ASAP. I don't have a larger tank (other than the 20G community tropical tank), or room for it. Do you think it will be OK for a couple of days while I repair the damage to the outside pond?. It doesn't seem in any great distress at the moment.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
Thanks for the feedback, this was the smallest at around 8" but it sounds like I need to get it out of the 10G tank ASAP. I don't have a larger tank (other than the 20G community tropical tank), or room for it. Do you think it will be OK for a couple of days while I repair the damage to the outside pond?. It doesn't seem in any great distress at the moment.
I don't think i'd be fine for a fewd ays... a day maybe. i'd go out and buy a 55G and some bio-spira right now, but that could easily cost a hundred dollars....

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
you don't need a tank, just go to a local walmart or home store and get a big rubbermaid plastic tub. they have 55 gallon ones, probably under 15 bucks and more than enough room to let the fish heal up. put it in the garage or something.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store