Rubber mouth Pleco problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TML29

AC Members
Jan 11, 2007
Missouri
I got my rubber mouth pleco from Petsmart about 4 or 5 days ago. Since then he hasn't been eating much. The tank is quite new so there is alsmost no algae there. I've tried to give him blanched broccoli and carrot but he won't touch them for some reason. Is there any ways I can get him to eat? He is quite shy, spending most of of his time under a couple of driftwood pieces I put in the tank. Also, do you guys happen to know how big a rubber mouth pleco would typically get. I wasn't going to get him but the shop assistant told me that he wouldn't grow bigger than 10 inches. I tried to look up but not much to see since I don't know their scientific name...

tai95

AC Members
Apr 24, 2005
This is the reason I hate common names. I'm going to assume that you have a Chaetostoma milesi (rubbernose, bulldog, or whatever else the LFS names them). This pleco will stay small ~5" when full grown so it will be fine in your 55gal. This type of pleco is an omnivore and will eat some algae along with frozen foods. As long as you offer these types of foods for it every thing should be fine. Getting a pleco to eat a new type of food is really a trial and error scenario. The vegetables you put in the tank are not found in it's native habitat (most likely wild caught), so the pleco doesn't realize it's food. You can just keep putting it in the tank and eventually it will realize it's food. Instead of carrots and broccoli I would try zucchini or a cuccumber.

Another thing to think about is if you just got the pleco it could still be stressed and not ready to eat. Just give it some time and make sure there is some food available for it when it is ready to finally eat.

Here are a few links for you.
http://planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=407

http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/profiles/331.htm

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
He might also be munching on the drift wood....many varieties of plecs do...

Malefic23

AC Members
Nov 7, 2006
Charlotte NC
Another good way to jump start his appetite is add some garlic to the water you blanch his zuchini in. Plecos enjoy the stimulation of garlic scent, and it's a handy way to get him to recognize new things as being tasty. You can also dip algae wafers in garlic water to let them soak up the scent. I reccomend wardley's algae wafers for this, they seem to hold together best though a soaking, and they have little or no ash.

He also might like lettuce, spinach, shrimp pellets, frozen bloodworm as a treat, formula one frozen food, squash, shelled peas, fresh shrimp (just peel and sink, take it out the next morning). Give him a few days and some tries with zuchini. He'll get the idea.

TML29

AC Members
Jan 11, 2007
Missouri
Another good way to jump start his appetite is add some garlic to the water you blanch his zuchini in. Plecos enjoy the stimulation of garlic scent, and it's a handy way to get him to recognize new things as being tasty. You can also dip algae wafers in garlic water to let them soak up the scent. I reccomend wardley's algae wafers for this, they seem to hold together best though a soaking, and they have little or no ash.

He also might like lettuce, spinach, shrimp pellets, frozen bloodworm as a treat, formula one frozen food, squash, shelled peas, fresh shrimp (just peel and sink, take it out the next morning). Give him a few days and some tries with zuchini. He'll get the idea.
I tried some zuchini yesterday but it's still lying on the bottom untouched. Hopefully with the driftwood he is not starving right now. The garlic idea is very interesting but will it pollute my water??

fish_freak

Retired Mod
Feb 15, 2002
Great Barrington, MA
No garlic is a natural anti parasite medication so if anything it will be beneficial.
I had one from petco once and it did the same thing refused to eat. He unfortunately only lasted about a month and imagine he had internal parasites which usually makes a fish stop eating. Hopefully this won't be the case with yours.

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
A pic of my rubberlip - I don't see him eating much either, but he is doing well. Mine eats and scrummages around at night so I don't see him very often.
He is approx. 1 year old.

Rubberlip.jpg

TML29

AC Members
Jan 11, 2007
Missouri
A pic of my rubberlip - I don't see him eating much either, but he is doing well. Mine eats and scrummages around at night so I don't see him very often.
He is approx. 1 year old.

My looks almost the same, maybe lighter in color. I should have researched a bit more since I did want a more friendly and less timid pleco. Oh well, I'll stick with him and try to make him happy...

Iamkellogg

AC Members
Feb 7, 2007
Indiana
Real Name
Kelly
I have the same kind of Pleco and I got him from Petsmart also. I like him...he is pretty cool. He is in with my angels. I like his look better than most plecos. Mine likes cucumbers.

Kelly

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store