Tank water has been cloudy since startup!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hagermanfd

AC Members
Jan 19, 2007
Set up 55 gallon tank as a newbie, didnt really know much about the cycling process and added 10 fish 7 days after the water was put in. I realize i made the big newbie mistake by adding way to many fish, I set the tank up on Dec. 29th, and it turned cloudy 2 days after the water was in. I have done the usual water changes tested the water ect. When can i expect to get some clearing. If i look into the light it almost looks like it is tiny dust particles floating around. Any help?

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
first of all, post your water parameters - ammonia, nitrite, nitrate.
Secondly, what kind of fish did you get?
Thirdly what filtration do you have on your tank?
There are more questions, but I'll what to see what you post first.

Hagermanfd

AC Members
Jan 19, 2007
filter is a power whisper 60, ph is at 7.0, alkalinity is at 120, hardness is 120, nitrate NO 2 is at 0 and NO 3 is at 20. I have 3 angel fish, 3 neon tetra, 1 cory catfish, 3 black mollys, 3 red glow zebras and 5 painted neon tetras, I have no live plants in the tank, all fake, 2 decorations, temperature is at 78 degrees, and also have an air bubbler set in the corner

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
What is your ammonia at? with your nitrite at 0 and your nitrate at 20, it seems your tank is doing ok and is cycled, (thankfully). Make sure your ammonia doesn't spike because of the fishload, hopefully your bacteria will be able to keep up with the load. Watch your parameters and do water changes as necessary. Your angels are the most sensitive fish you have there.
The cloudiness will disappear in time. Do you have sand or gravel substrate?

Hagermanfd

AC Members
Jan 19, 2007
i have gravel, i actually lost 1 angel to the filter looks like he tried to swim behind it and got sucked to it, i put a fake plant around it to keep the fish away so far so good.

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
once your tank "settles" your cloudiness will dissipate. Just keep checking that ammonia! Good luck

Hagermanfd

AC Members
Jan 19, 2007
ammonia level is a 0.5 according to my new test strips!!! i think that is good for a 3 and 1/2 week tank, right?

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
nope 0.5 is too high and will stress out your fish.. try to keep your ammonia level as low as possible or at least under 0.25
.5 is too high. I agree. I would check with a liquid test solution if you can. The strips are not as accurate. Your ammonia should be 0. You will probably see ammonia for a couple more weeks because of your fish load all at once. I don't know much about biospira but check into it. I believe you are suppose to add it when you add your fish, but it might help. Check it out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store