aquaclear 200... set up as a fuge???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

1hocking

AC Members
Jan 13, 2007
Hello, I am in the process of setting up a 20 gallon sw fowlr and maybe some low light corals (mushrooms and polyps) My question is, I have a Marineland Bio-wheel 200 for filtration but I would like to turn my AQ 200 into a fuge. If anyone has any advice/know how, that would be great.

Great website by the way. Tons of useful information that takes a lot of the stress out of being a newbie.

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
I'm using a AC500 on my 20g as a very simple fuge....I shifted the intake to the right to slow down the flow, and pulled it up a bit to slow it down a little more. I use the filter cover unaltered and no lights. My goals are to just create more biofiltration and a pod breeding ground....It is filled with live rock rubble. For both goals, it has worked fine.

Toirtis

Keeper of strange fishes
I'm using a AC500 on my 20g as a very simple fuge...., it has worked fine.
Ditto, but I cannot imagine using anything smaller on a 20g...certainly not an AC200.

1hocking

AC Members
Jan 13, 2007
would a left over skilter work?

If the AC 200/50 is not big enough, I do have a left over skilter which is somewhat bigger...

do you guys think this would work?

If so do you just put maybe an inch or so of live sand on the bottom and some LR rubble on top?

Thank you all for your past and future replys!

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
As long as you can control the flow (that is slow it down) you should be fine. I would skip the sand in smaller converted filter fuges - it will always get into the impeller unless you retro a baffle of some sort, as EMG did. Really not necessary IMO if you can get a lot of live rock rubble instead.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store