Sick clowns, HELP!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wrench

AC Members
Sep 9, 2004
Two days ago I noticed my blenny wasn't doing well, he ended up dieing. By the time I noticed there wasa problem it was too late since he hides a lot. Last night I noticed the same symptoms on my Clowns. I just went through a case of ich where I lost a sailfin tang a week or so ago. This doesn't look like ich though. Instead of white spots, it's a white film covering almost the entire fish. Would this be Marine Velvet? I'm setting up a hospital tank now. What is the best course of action, copper?

Wrench

AC Members
Sep 9, 2004
Here are some pics. One fish just died. From seemingly perfect to belly up in 8 hours. Not the stringy substance trailing all the fins and the torn fins.

spinx

AC Members
Nov 6, 2006
Hi there it definately sounds like velvet. It is very common for Velvet to take over where the ich left off. It sometimes can happen overnight. It sounds like its a bit too late, sorry. Nontheless where theres life theres still hope, put them in a hospital tank, remember that you should have atleast half of your main tanks water in the hosp. tank (if its a totally new setup) As far as treatment is concerned i cant help you, sorry. :rolleyes: good luck

spinx

AC Members
Nov 6, 2006
Hi just did some research, velvet should be treated by dropping the salinity drastically to around 1.010. In doing this the "velvet" cells are able to consume the water to such an extend that they burst. (Balloon affect) the life cycle of these parasites is around 6-12 days. Remember when taking your salinity back up again, do it very slowly ps 1.010 is the lowest salinity that most fish will tolerate, clowns should be fine. Good luck buddy.

Last edited:

Wrench

AC Members
Sep 9, 2004
Thanks for the help. Right after I posted the pics the fish died. The infection took over awfully quick.

spinx

AC Members
Nov 6, 2006
Ah man. sorry to hear, its an awfull thing. Atleast you know now what to do next time. Do some further reseach on comon illness and desease to be prepared for next time. i dont have a hosp. tank but im gonna put one up sooner than later. I think any serious hobbiest should be prepared for an outbreak like ich or velvet, doesnt mater how good you are at keeping fish. :)

Wrench

AC Members
Sep 9, 2004
I have a hospital tank but it's not setup all the time. I was working on setting it up when they died. Didn't get to them fast enough I suppose. I fed them at 11pm the night before and they looked absolutely perfect. Woke up at 9 and that's when I took those pics. It was already too late. My other problem is no QT. I've been getting stuff from the same LFS for nearly 20 years now and never had a problem. This SW stuff is a lot different.

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
When I first started out I had a clown that had velvet- once i noticed the signs, he died the very next day. I'm sorry this happened to you.

Since then I have a couple QT/hospital tanks...just in case (and to QT new fish). I used the media in my larger tank to cycle them and it worked like a charm. If you don't keep a QT running full-time, I'd say the easiest way to set one up is to already have the equipment, and use the filter media from your main tank to cycle.

:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store