Koran Angel in a Reef

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

m007

m007
Jan 4, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I have the opertunity to add a very young Koran angel to my reef. I am wondering if anyone might have some experience with this. My thinking is that if I get it young enough I should be able to train it on my food rather than the food I have paid dearly for. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
A friend of mine put a young Koran in his reef and recently had to remove it. There is little any of us can do to combat instincts, and the instincts of most angels include chewing on one type of coral or another. He had previously tried a Coral Beauty, which is one of the least likely to eat corals, only to have it go nuts on his soft corals once it got to a certain size -- despite it being fed a varied diet regularly. If you want your clam to survive, I'd suggest not getting a Koran, as they are also known to pick at clams. Otherwise, I wouldn't even suggest adding a second angel to 47g tank.

Magpen

AC Members
May 18, 2004
Colorado Springs, CO
Visit site
I agree with the previous post. Also a Koran grows to 12-15 inches as an adult. Unless you have a bigger tank to move him to, your current tank that you have in your signature is too small for him. Also, your blue tang will get too big for the current tank as well. Just keep that in mind also.

Last edited:

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
From all of the forums and articles I've read, these Angels will pick at your corals...of course some people seem to have better "luck" and consider it a hit or miss sort of thing. Others say their Angels were fine the first few months and then out of nowhere, started nipping at their corals. Good luck if you decide to keep one in there. Let us know what happens!

m007

m007
Jan 4, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Thanks for the input. I figured as much but thought I would ask anyway. As for the blue tang growing too large for my 47 it's all part of the plan for the next size up. (Need to have a GOOD reason for a larger tank!!!!):rolleyes:

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
As for the blue tang growing too large for my 47 it's all part of the plan for the next size up. (Need to have a GOOD reason for a larger tank!!!!):rolleyes:
That's a GREAT reason for a larger tank! So what would be the "next" size up?

Every time I decide on a tank that I think is "enough"- I always want bigger. Hehe.

:)

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
True, nice idea..How-ever, do not under estimate how quick fish grow in a good enviroment..I am a firm believer that you should not buy a fish with the intentions later down the line to upgrade the tank..Things happen, tanks dont get upgraded and then you have a fish which is not happy because it can swim much, which then stresses the fish out and then you get infections..

Please dont think i am having a go, because i realy am not...just wanted to get my point across..Seen it so many times with fish like tangs that were brought with a "tank upgrade in the future " in mind and it does not happen..

Just wait your time and when you get that great massive new tank, then get the bigger fish...

Niko

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store