blue tang

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Jan 9, 2007
Millstone Township, NJ
Hey, I'm pretty much a newbie myself but I have a couple of Blue Hippo Tangs.. and yes they do sleep wedged sideways in between cracks in your live rock... If you are talking about just laying on it's side on the sand that might be better answered by someone else...

Malbri

User
Dec 11, 2006
that wierd, I saw yellow tangs the other day in a pet store, one was like swimming upsidedown, not much but like kinda resting, and the other i thought was dead cause it was between some live rock and the tnak wall, but its gills was moving and it was looking around and neither had visible damage

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
Hehe. Those Blue (Hippo) Tangs are definitely known to do this. :)

Do you have one, or are you looking to buy one? I'm getting one tomorrow and cannot wait! They are potential ich magnets though, so providing them with optimal water conditions (as with any fish) and healthy food/seaweed is a priority.

Magpen

AC Members
May 18, 2004
Colorado Springs, CO
Visit site
Yes, Blue Tangs will wedge themselves into small spaces in your live rock if they get scared or it is ready to rest. Mine usually swims out in the open all day unless something comes up to the tank too fast and scares it. Other than that it won't wedge itself until the lights go out. What kind of chromis do you have? The green chromis usually are the more peaceful of the damsel type family. I also have 2 green chromis and they are usually the ones to get picked on occasionally if they get in the other fishes way but yes if you notice continued aggression then you need to consider removing them.

bloo1987

AC Members
Jan 11, 2007
CA
yeah. i have 2 green chromis in my tank. It seems like when the blue tang goes around where the chromis hang they go at the tang other than that they seem ok.
but thanks for the info on the blue tang resting guys.

fuzzydwarfs

AC Members
Jan 22, 2007
if tangs dont have any rock or coral that they can wedge themselves into, they will lay on the bottom of the tank...notice how most LFS dont have the above mentioned in their display tanks, hence the tangs laying down...
my tang goes between the coral and the rock... :)

hope this helps...
JO...

Dustin83

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
Orange County, CA
As far as chromis goes.. if you plan to take them out, try taking out just one of them and observe the behavior... No science behind that suggestion... I just feel like I've seen more aggression in chromis when there are more of them... Again, not claiming any scientific evidence behind this... Just suggesting that if you are going to remove both of them, might as well give it a try and see if you can keep one.

For Blue tang, mine tries to find a place between rocks but get chased away by my crazy coral banded shrimp that moves around everywhere. So he usually sleeps between the powerhead and the wall.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store