$2.99 flushed down the toilet

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

1cmarie

AC Members
Jan 6, 2007
I woke up this morning to find one of my brand new cories dead - the largest of the three. I have no way of knowing if the betta killed him or not. Though I wonder why he didn't go for one of the smaller ones if he felt like killing them. :huh: I just wondered what could have happened...

Jack459

AC Members
Dec 12, 2006
How large exactly was it? Water parameters? It might have nothig to do with the betta

1cmarie

AC Members
Jan 6, 2007
I had my water checked before I bought them - nitrates were a little high, the fish attendant suggested adding a little prime. Otherwise, everything else tested fine. Could have been trauma, now that I think about it. I think the larger one was crushed by the net while being transferred to the bag. The fish itself may have been about an inch long. The bettas already pretty much full grown I really hope it wasn't the betta, he seemed to ignore them yesterday, and the other two seem to be fine.

Reddog80p

Permanently Dechlor'd
Nov 18, 2006
I had my water checked before I bought them - nitrates were a little high, the fish attendant suggested adding a little prime. Otherwise, everything else tested fine. Could have been trauma, now that I think about it. I think the larger one was crushed by the net while being transferred to the bag. The fish itself may have been about an inch long. The bettas already pretty much full grown I really hope it wasn't the betta, he seemed to ignore them yesterday, and the other two seem to be fine.
Prime will help but not solve your nitrAte problem, Sticking to a good water change schedule will. If you feel a LFS empolyee mishandled your fish ask for a replacement fish on the spot. As far as your water goes, I would get a test kit and test it yourself, LFS are known for saying everything is "fine".

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Yes, and from what I've seen, there definition of fine is no where near mine. :dance2:

chunkoblue

AC Members
Nov 26, 2006
Glenwood, IL
I had 3 sterba's cories die 2 days after I got them (one day after warranty), and they were $6.99 each. A real bummer. Water was perfect: ammonia = 0, nitrite = 0, nitrate = 5 ppm

1cmarie

AC Members
Jan 6, 2007
Unfortunately for me, I flushed him before remembering the warranty:mad:
I didn't want to leave the two remaining ones by themselves for too long, so I went to the chainstore across town and found the fish there were in much better condition (they even had gravel and plants :rolleyes: ). The fish att. was very gentle in netting him/her (I made sure). I got one that was small enough to match the rest. I just did a 20% water change today as well, so hopefully, I'll have more luck this time around (if not, I won't forget that warranty next time.)

lilly

AC Members
Nov 12, 2006
Wisconsin
Corys can die for no apparent reason. I bought 6 from a great LFS and all but one died. I tested the LFS water and it was sky high in nitrate. I bought 5 more from a chain and they are all doing great after 2 weeks. Their water was much better than the LFS. You just never know.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store