oto cats

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mitchl17

AC Members
Dec 18, 2006
Toronto, Canada
if i choose to buy oto cats, how can i make sure that there is enough algae to keep them happy. Also, should i and how often should i feed algae wafers? Thanks.

Red Tailed Wonder

AC Members
Feb 21, 2005
What size tank are they going in? What else will be in the tank?
Algae can be encouraged by leaving the aquarium lights on for 12-14 hours.
Feed them once every few days.
have you researched ottos? Are you aware of their needs?

RTW

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Put them in a well established tank...sensitive to poor water quality...do not handle transistion well...look for a plump belly

Mitchl17

AC Members
Dec 18, 2006
Toronto, Canada
ya, i did my research, just couldn't find anywhere that told me how often to feed the wafers thats all. I haven't started my tank yet, so i'll make sure before i add them that it is established.

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
it's a rare aquarium that contains sufficient algae to maintain 'any' algae eater. they really need supplemental feeding and i'd recommend daily. moreover, otocinclus are a particularly sensitive species and a great many are lost in relatively 'new' tanks due to less than perfect water conditions and starvation.

Mitchl17

AC Members
Dec 18, 2006
Toronto, Canada
is there another species that is similar to the oto cats size and behaviour but are a little more hardy? What are the chances they will die if the water conditions are good?

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
I personally have never lost an oto and I have 5 in my 20gallon at school and more at home. I also move my otos every couple of months from Delaware to NJ and back again and I have never lost one then either. If you acclimate them properly and make sure they have enough to eat(<---I think that is the big one) you should be fine. Just make sure you have an established tank to put them in or some blanched(microwaved in water for about 5 mins) veggies for them to eat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store