killing live sand?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

1hocking

AC Members
Jan 13, 2007
I'm in the process (actually right now) of filling my 20 gal up. I'm confused if I should fill the tank up with untreated water (including no salt) then adding the live sand and salt or should I fill up my 5 gal bucket, treat that then add it and repeat or should I place the sand in first then add the water? I just don't want to kill my live sand by placing it in untreated water. If anyone could reply ASAP that would be awesome!

Thanks

ljse

AC Members
Oct 12, 2005
Fill the tank up with mixed saltwater, leave some room to account for displacement, then add the sand.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Its not overly critical whether you mix the saltwater before you put in the tank, or mix in the tank as there are not fish or inverts in there to be effected by it..It is only the initial fill anyways, so this process wont happen again..Future saltwater should always me made up prior to your water changes to allow the pH to balance and temp to be raised to the same as your tank..

Niko

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store