Please help! White spots all over 2 tetras; what do I do?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mahma

AC Members
Dec 22, 2006
I have white spots on two tetras.

Nothing has recently been added to the tank. (Well, I suppose that depends on the definition of recent...2 of the guppies were added about 3 weeks ago....) The PH is 7.0, Ammonia and Nitrite are 0.0, and Nitrate is between 10-20. 25% water changes are being done one a week. We have finally got this stable - we thought.

But my son just noticed lots of white spots on the two white-tipped tetras. Ich? Looks like a rash - full body.

What do I do? (I don't think I have time for much research, as I know ich spreads quickly...and then I don't know which of the differing advice to follow.) Helppppppp...please?!?!?!?!?!?!?

(If this is ich...does it come in and show up 3weeks later? If so, that's just cause for isolation tanks...we just haven't figured out how to set up a second tank too...yet.)

TIA! Mahma

boulderman1

AC Members
Aug 8, 2006
Chicago, IL
don't panic, this is a common problem, just go and buy yourself come Quick Cure or any other good ich remedy at your lfs and treat the entire tank per the label's instructions, ich is said to be in an aquarium at all times, and only when fish become stresed enough, does ich appear, treating the entire tank is the best in order to help prevent any of your other fish from getting infected, a UV sterilizer is a good option to keep the chance of future infestations down

good luck

webcricket

(So chill.) No wonder it's freezing
Mar 22, 2006
Syracuse, NY
Yes, it can show up 3 weeks later. Ich has a life cycle, and the parasite could just now be showing up on the fish.

I recommend the heat/salt method to treat ich. I have successfully used this method to treat sensitive fish and even a planted tank with zero fish/plant loss - no chemicals involved.

To start, do a big water change (40-50%) and gravel vac really well.

For heat, raise the tank temperature to 82-84 degrees. Do this slowly, maybe 2 degrees at most every 8 to 10 hours. The heat increases the speed of the ich life cycle. You may need to add an air pump and air stone as the heated water will not carry as much oxygen.

You can use regular table salt and do not need aquarium specific salt (though it is best if the salt does not contain iodine, some say it is harmless though)...add in 2 tablespoons per gallon of water. If this is a 30 gallon tank, let's assume it actually holds more like 27 gallons of water. You will add in 54 tablespoons of salt total. Do this gradually, maybe 10 tablespoons every 5 to 6 hours. Dissolve the salt in some of the tank water first.

Of course if the fish show any signs of stress, slow down and wait several hours before continuing the process. Expect to treat for a minimum of 21 days, and at least 7 days after the last white spot disappears. You can and should do your normal water changes during this time, just be sure to add enough salt back in to the tank to account for the water you took out during the water change. The ich may get worse before it gets better - the fish are already infected and you will see new white spots show up before things get better. The salt will get the ich when it falls off the fish and gets to the free-swimming portion of the life cycle.

Daudzegier

Tropical Aquascaper
Dec 31, 2006
Knoxville, TN
I would use kosher salt cuz you can trust that it will have no other "secret" additives.... because its Kosher. Plus it doesnt have iodine in it witch at some levels has been known to harm fish.

Mahma

AC Members
Dec 22, 2006
don't panic, this is a common problem, just go and buy yourself come Quick Cure or any other good ich remedy at your lfs and treat the entire tank per the label's instructions, ich is said to be in an aquarium at all times, and only when fish become stresed enough, does ich appear, treating the entire tank is the best in order to help prevent any of your other fish from getting infected, a UV sterilizer is a good option to keep the chance of future infestations down

good luck
Thanks for your ideas and encouragement. Since no stores are open now, I guess I can ask a question. What's a UV sterilizer? TIA

Mahma

AC Members
Dec 22, 2006
Yes, it can show up 3 weeks later. Ich has a life cycle, and the parasite could just now be showing up on the fish.

I recommend the heat/salt method to treat ich. I have successfully used this method to treat sensitive fish and even a planted tank with zero fish/plant loss - no chemicals involved.

To start, do a big water change (40-50%) and gravel vac really well.

For heat, raise the tank temperature to 82-84 degrees. Do this slowly, maybe 2 degrees at most every 8 to 10 hours. The heat increases the speed of the ich life cycle. You may need to add an air pump and air stone as the heated water will not carry as much oxygen.

You can use regular table salt and do not need aquarium specific salt (though it is best if the salt does not contain iodine, some say it is harmless though)...add in 2 tablespoons per gallon of water. If this is a 30 gallon tank, let's assume it actually holds more like 27 gallons of water. You will add in 54 tablespoons of salt total. Do this gradually, maybe 10 tablespoons every 5 to 6 hours. Dissolve the salt in some of the tank water first.

Of course if the fish show any signs of stress, slow down and wait several hours before continuing the process. Expect to treat for a minimum of 21 days, and at least 7 days after the last white spot disappears. You can and should do your normal water changes during this time, just be sure to add enough salt back in to the tank to account for the water you took out during the water change. The ich may get worse before it gets better - the fish are already infected and you will see new white spots show up before things get better. The salt will get the ich when it falls off the fish and gets to the free-swimming portion of the life cycle.
Thanks for your thoughts too! What am I going to do if everyone disagrees on the course of treatment? How will I know what to do? The first poster says additive, now salt and heat, and then? I am such a novice...I don't like the learning curve...I just want a definite algorithm. LOL! Thanks for your advice!

Mahma

AC Members
Dec 22, 2006
I would use kosher salt cuz you can trust that it will have no other "secret" additives.... because its Kosher. Plus it doesnt have iodine in it witch at some levels has been known to harm fish.
Thanks for your thoughts! Is API Aquarium Salt good? (I happen to have it, but have been told to "never, ever use it again" by a self-proclaimed fish expert....) TIA!

Blueiz

THE TypoQUEEN
Sep 5, 2005
NC
Thanks for your thoughts too! What am I going to do if everyone disagrees on the course of treatment? How will I know what to do? The first poster says additive, now salt and heat, and then? I am such a novice...I don't like the learning curve...I just want a definite algorithm. LOL! Thanks for your advice!
Use the salt/heat method, workse everytime..;)

BTW, ordinary table salt is fine. The level of iodine in the small amounts it will be used in to treat ich will not harm a thing..

Read this..

Blue

boulderman1

AC Members
Aug 8, 2006
Chicago, IL
i always use API salt, a UV sterilizer is a ultra violet bulb in a housing that can be attached to filter tubing (like that on a canister filter) the water passes through the UV sterilizer and is exposed to the light which kills micro-organisms like parasites, basically, using Quick Cure or something is a little more stressful than the heat/salt method, but it does a better job, you could try heat/salt but if it doesn't work, then just use Quick Cure or something to get rid of it for sure

good luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store