I Must Have The Meanest Clownfish Ever

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fastbackgly

Molecular Cell Biology Major
Feb 24, 2006
San Diego, CA
Well, tonight I announce my first official loss since the tank was set-up about a year ago. Today I bought a cleaner shrimp to add to the tank. Acclimated for around an hour by adding small quantities of my water to a container and doubling volume, halving, doubling, etc. LFS salinity was within .002 of mine. Everything fine. Once I introduced the shrimp to the tank, everybody started harassing the crap out of it. The clowns acted like it was going to take over their anemone and the gramma nipped at the shrimp's antennae. It quickly ran to the center/bottom of all the liverock down by the goby, which left it alone. The female clown would not leave it alone. She was hunting it down and being very aggressive. Naturally I was worried. I left for a few hours and when I came back, the shrimp was in the back right corner with little more than a few twitches of movement when I touched it. I removed it and placed it in a plastic container and took a long time determining it was dead. Too bad. First loss. The female clown has been my most aggressive tankmate. Pisses me off. She is far worse than the damsels. She even chases the three-line around the aquarium. I don't know if I'll buy another shrimp for this tank. Too wasteful.

Dustin83

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
Orange County, CA
Wow.. really sorry to hear about your loss...

Meaner than your damsels huh? That's quite a statement. I personally have never seen a clown that aggressive. Anyways.. again, sorry to hear about your horrible experience. Maybe you can try to add it at night next time or something..

rohnds

AC Members
Jun 19, 2004
Austin, TX (Born NYC)
www.geocities.com
When introducing anything into a tank, turn the lights off for a atleast an hour before introducing the new inhabitant. When the lights are off, the tank members naturally goes into their inactive ("sleep") state.

Rohn

fastbackgly

Molecular Cell Biology Major
Feb 24, 2006
San Diego, CA
That's a good tip. I didn't even think about turning the lights off. Thanks for that.

But yeah, my clown is very territorial. She even bit my girlfriend's hand when she was feeding the anemone and drew blood(a little bit, but still). She nips at me every time I try to feed the corals. I thought she was going to kill the three-line the first week he was in the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store