white fuzzy stuff

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ET1

AC Members
May 6, 2006
Canada
I noticed today that inside a cave I have in the tank there is a white fuzzy substance lining the upper inside of the cave. Is this a type of algae? Should I take out the cave and soak it in a mild bleach solution or just try to brush it away?

Daudzegier

Tropical Aquascaper
Dec 31, 2006
Knoxville, TN
Got some bad news for you.... its an albino strain of black/brown beard algea.... So you know what that means... TANK DISTRUCTINON AHAHAHAHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!1111 No like srsly, this stuff is slow to grow, but it does NOT DIE. the white strain of this algea prefers places where water movement is miniamal. that is why its building up on the inside of the cave. But sure enough, it WILL SPREAD like a alien infestation... AND NOTHING will stop it. Im srs. this stuff is so resiliant its not even funny... It can even live in water with algeacide in it for a while. Take that pot out and bleach the **** out of it before its too late.

5Bettamom

7 BettaMom now!!! Woot woot
Dec 15, 2006
Washington
Got some bad news for you.... its an albino strain of black/brown beard algea.... So you know what that means... TANK DISTRUCTINON AHAHAHAHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! No like srsly, this stuff is slow to grow, but it does NOT DIE. the white strain of this algea prefers places where water movement is miniamal. that is why its building up on the inside of the cave. But sure enough, it WILL SPREAD like a alien infestation... AND NOTHING will stop it. Im srs. this stuff is so resiliant its not even funny... It can even live in water with algeacide in it for a while. Take that pot out and bleach the **** out of it before its too late.
Yup, no matter how much you dont want to do TTTANNK :eek: DESSTRUCTION AHHHHHHHH!!! Its gonna have to be done.. now get to work! lol

ET1

AC Members
May 6, 2006
Canada
Crapola... how long should I bleach it for? Do you think I need to leave it overnight?

Daudzegier

Tropical Aquascaper
Dec 31, 2006
Knoxville, TN
you could..... might help.... maybe... lol NAH just soak it in hot bleach solution (1 part bleach, 9 parts hot water) for about an hour, and then scrub the **** out of it, then rinse it very well and let it air dry overnight. Then you can re intro it to the tank.

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
I have never heard of an albino strain of algae. Could you please link to something that talks about albino strains of algae. I think it sounds more like bacteria. Is there anyway you can post a picture of it? I would still take the cave out and clean it though.

ET1

AC Members
May 6, 2006
Canada
Well, whatever it was its been bleached away.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store