Oscar Question (tank size)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GT3050

AC Members
Apr 14, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I am asking this question for a friend of mine who seems to have fallen in love with oscars. The only problem is that we are both students and don't have very much disposable income to spend on fish. We have gone to the LFS several times and have concluded that a tank over 50 gallons is too much money, but he is still intent on getting an oscar. I have been trying to tell him that an oscar probably won't fit in the tank, but he wants to get one anyways. The only plus is that he only wants to get one. The tank that he has right now (and is planing to keep the oscar in) messures 40"x12"x20" (not sure how many gallons that is). I have told him that 12" deep will not be enough but I need some other opinions. Is 12" deep ok? Am I wrong? Thanks for your time.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
That's 40 gallons, since a 10 is 20 x 12 x 10. That might not be deep enough, but I'm mostly concerned with the fact that a 40 won't be enough for the Oscar after six months.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Just think A Oscar gets 12-14" and its hight is 12" see something wrong with that. A 40gal is to small for an oscar like childawg said in six months it will need a bigger home. They require a minimum of 60gal but do better in a 75gal. Let him know that it would be a bad Idea not only will it stunt his growth but he will have to do so many water changes he would fall out of the hobby fast. Just My Opinion though.

Lynsey

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
I would look in the local papers. A lot of time people sell used tanks. They are usually pretty cheap and even if they need fixing they are a pretty good deal. You might want to also check out ebay or www.aquabid.com An Oscar really needs about 55 gallons or more. I have a 5 foot tank, and I can't really picture my Oscar in a smaller tank, and he is only about 10" so he is still growing.

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
Lynsey brings up a good point, u can look in the local papers/classifieds and find cheap tanks, i saw a 75g the other day with everything (canister filter, hood, rocks, etc) for only $50 i would of bought it but parents say i have too many tanks already. you can find a lot of good deals in the classifieds.

as for the size tank he will need i would recommend at least a 65g, but would more so say 75g, that is basically a staple around here on AC. he could keep the Oscar for a little while, but then u would have to sell back to LFs or give away ans i never think this is a good idea especially with oscars, my local LFS has about 2 large (6"+) oscars that were given to them die a month.

Dragon_Lord_Tia

OH NO not Lenny
Feb 14, 2003
Orange Australia
Visit site
i have 4 oscars(1 Breeding pair)the breeding pair are in a 4ft and the 2 others are in a 12ft i would say a 4ft would be the smallest for 11-12"oscars but in the 12ft they are 14"+ so they couldnt be in a 4ft or they couldnt turn around

so to save your self money i would but a second hand 4 or 5 ft tank ive seen them as cheap a 200 dollars with the filter no heater though.;)Think about it;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store