R/O additives?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cich-o

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
S.E.MI
Visit site
What do you guys use when mixing water using R/O? I was combining a little tap water to add KH but I would like to use R/O exclusively as I am on a well derived system and the water is just crappy.

quantim0

Go Packers!!
Feb 19, 2002
Westfield, NJ
because you're mixing salt water you're adding all of the minerals into the water that you really need by way of the salt mix. there are some additives that come in powder form. but i really don't think that you're going to need something like that. at work we take the RO then just mix the salt into it and we've never had any problems. hope that helped.

cich-o

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
S.E.MI
Visit site
So does the salt mix contain everything needed to provide increased pH and alkalinity? I thought from reading a bag of salt that it did, but I was told that ph and buffering capacity had to be supplemented.

gcvt

Functional Aquaholic
Mar 15, 2001
SF, CA
www.motorworld.com
It depends. If you mix up RO or RO/DI water with your salt, aerate it for about a day, and get low pH and/or alk readings, you can use products like Kent Marine's 'Superbuffer dKH' or Seachem's 'Reef Buffer'. Both products will increase both pH and alk. Of course, that just two of many products out there...lots of different ways to go about this.

I used the Kent product for a while...until I bought a Salifert test kit and figured out that my old one (Hagen) was giving me false low alk results. After mixing and aerating, my salt water comes out with KH at about 10 and a pH of 8.1

cich-o

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
S.E.MI
Visit site
Ok guys I am lazy,or maybe I just want expert advice from such experts as yourselves, how about a "here's what you should do" kinda thing. I am using R/O only, not RO/DI. Kent has always been a favorite for me from my African days. Here I am with a 5 gal. jug of R/O, what should I do to it before adding it to my tank? God I am so lazy! Hey I really appreciate your help and paience!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store