I want to buy an anenome

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

snail

AC Members
Jan 22, 2007
I am planning on setting up a reef tank 78 g and I'd like an anenome. Don't worry I won't do anything stupid like put it in the tank before it is ready but I'd like to have some idea on what my longer term plans are while i'm still deciding on what setup I'll have.

I've heard that some anenomes are short lived in tanks and some are tricky so I'm looking for one that won't outgrow my tank and will be relatively forgiving to a newbie and I don't like the idea of dooming one of these beautiful creatures to an early death when it would have lived for many years in the wild.

What aneome should i get?

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Make sure to find a captive cloned anemone and not wild caught. They will have a much greater chance of survival. Also look at waiting for about a year to have a mature enough tank to support one.

I think that BTA's are being cloned now.

snail

AC Members
Jan 22, 2007
I lived in Portugal. Unfortunately captive bred (or cloned) anything saltwater don't seem to be available. I have been looking into that cos I feel guilty buying wild caught stock in general.

I'll wait the year to get an anenome. Any other sugestions?

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
The major trick is fidning a healthy one. Hoepfully you will be able to have access to a good store where you can observe a speciment for awhile prior to buying it. Make sure it is healthy and vibrant in colour and eating.

If you plan on having clown fish host with it then I would suggest doing some research into which types of clowns host with which types of anemones.

snail

AC Members
Jan 22, 2007
I know a few stores that aren't bad, one down the road from us is good. His stock is limmited but he seems to care and know something about saltwater. He has anenomes sometimes. Are there any anenome that I should avoid at all costs?

mayran

AC Members
Oct 3, 2005
Grand Rapids, MI
Its nearly useless to "put him where you want him" because the anemone will move around until it finds a spot that it likes. Maybe you will get lucky and where you set it is where it will stay, but probably not.

As far as type, I would recommend a bubble tip anemone, or BTA. Thus far, mine has been easy to care for, other than having to move corals that it is stinging while it "takes walks". I have 2 percula clowns that are hosting in it. It took them 2 days to find the anemone and now they hardly ever leave it.

Good luck.

Bahamiangirl

AC Members
Jan 29, 2007
what do you feed them?

Germanman

My fish are my babies
i dont recommend feeding them a lot mine almost never gets chunk food anymore the tomato clown feeds it mysis and brine and the halide does the rest through photosynthesis. bubble tips are great and are super hardy. and id have to disagree about waiting a year. if you know ur stuff and take good care you can put it in after a few months also let it be the first coral due to the wandering so it finds its spot and you can place corals around it. i got my anenome about a month after setting up my aquarium and its not only done well but split and i got rid of it and kept the clone because it grew to fast because i used to feed it weekly. but if your new to the hobby take it slow and then maybe a year would be appropriate it really depends on the person i have tossed anemonies into tanks without acclimation(emergency happened had no choice but to) at work and they wern't happy but recovered because the water quality was awesome.... they are hardy if the tank is properly maintained.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store