Discus 2-4 inches growing time?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aquaholic

AC Members
Jan 4, 2004
WA
Visit site
I was wondering how long does it take one to get 2inches biger in lets say 240g. Its just that the price is quite a diffrence when you buy 10 or 15 of them. And so far the best place I am seeing online is www.somethingphishy,com any suggestions anyone? Thanks

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
A lot goes into the growing patterns and processes of fish, in this case discus. A lot of it also has to do with how they were raised as fry and where they are coming from. Discus in particular need very clean pristine water. They are a very high maintenance fish. They will reqire daily water changes of 50-70 percent if they are juviniles because they will need to be feed frequently such as four to five times a day. They also need a bare bottom tank which makes the cleanup that much easier. Juvie discus can and do waste away in a tank that has substrate or if it is planted. Sub-adult or adult discus can be fed once or twice a day but will still need very clean pristine water. I do five water changes a week of 60% or better for my discus and they are in the sub-adult range. Lots of water changes and good food and they should grow just fine for you.

Marinemom

aquaholic

AC Members
Jan 4, 2004
WA
Visit site
Well yeah I am ok with high maintance, I just wondered if its worth paying more then double the price between 2 and 4 inch discus.?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Going with the smaller size is usually my preferrence. Depending on the quality of care you will be at the 4" range in a short period.

Ghost_knife

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
I tried clicking on your link, dosnt go to a pet place..

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I agree with much of what has been said.

it is best to raise discus in a bare bottom especially young discus..but they can be raised in a planted tank with a substrate bottom..it's just not 'best'
discus get the 'tag' of being delicate fish. however, many dicus being domestically raised (tank raised) they are tougher than many believe. while wild discus can be difficult and sensitive to water conditions..most domestically raised discus are not so 'delicate'.

I would highly suggest you find a discus breeder. if the breeder is local..visit them. you will be amazed at the condition you find their fish in. healthy discus raised correctly from fry in a breeders tanks will look significantly different from discus kept in a LFS.

water changes are critical for raising young discus..as they should get fed at minimum 4 X per day. this means more waste..as a result it is easier to clean a bare bottom tank..that is why many raise discus in a bare bottom. water should be changed everyday for young discus.

once past the juvenile stage you can reduce the water changes ..I do water changes usually 3 x per week in my discus and angel tanks..sometimes I do 2 per week when my schedule prevents more. but never less than two and no less than 40%.

will more water changes help..yes..if you want to raise show quality fish (very large well over 6")
in a planted tank discus may reach 6" or slightly over..but they usually don't reach dinner plate sizes.
yes, they are healthy

I currently have 6" discus breeding in a community tank..they are fat and healthy. tough enough to kick the you know what out of angels in the same tank.

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
i got my discus from a breeder, and he feeds his young discus 3 times a day, some breeders feed 3 times even newly born discus and do good. discus will grow faster if you feed them different foods and do water changes once or twice a week. DON'T feed your discus live food if you don't want to loose any, like black worms, because they are worm infested. discus that's like a year old should be like 6" or more

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store