Pleco

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bytor

Registered Member
Dec 5, 2002
St.Catharines Ont. Canada
Visit site
Hello first time here.
I believe I have a pleco as an algea eater and have noticed that when it poops, the poop is very stringy and there is a fair amount of it. Is there anything else that does a good job but does not leave such a mess?
Thankyou

T

TnCgal

Hi Bytor !

Welcome to AquariaCentral, home of the most waste-producing plecos on the entire web !

Have you tried knitting a sweater with it ? This can be quite useful. :)

If you are experiencing green algae, a common pleco is the best bet to keep it at bay ... if you are experiencing brown algae, then your best bet will be a team of ottos, which can clean an entire tank of brown algae in just a matter of a couple of days.

BTW... I'm going to move this thread over to our Bottom Feeders forum for you to get more responses over there !

Hoplosternum

AC Members
Aug 27, 2000
Essex, England
Visit site
Bristlenose catfish (Ancistrus spp.) are closely related to plecs and stay smaller. You have the same long stringy mess but as the fish is smaller (most don't grow over 5" unlike Plecs) it is less noticeable. Very effective against green algae.

Unfortunately Plecs and Bristlenoses chuck out a lot of waste, but that is because they are doing such a good job eating algae :) Personally I prefer doing regular vacuuming of this than scraping algae away and it has the added advantage of getting me to do regular water changes (I siphon out the waste during water changes).

Twilight

AC Members
Sep 9, 2002
Born in the USA
When my Pleco swims around it is as if he's a mischievious teenager toilet papering the trees in the neighborhood. Naughty Boy!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store