co2 Drop Checker - FYI

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
I thought I would post this for anyone/everyone using a drop checker to monitor their co2 levels in the aquarium. As I've been researching, I've come across some VERY interesting facts about how to measure ACCURATE co2 in your tank.
Use Chucks planted tank co2 calculator/table AND a drop checker with distilled water to have an accurate reading. Here is a good summary taken from a post at aquaticplantcentral.com:

You need to look at one of the pH/KH CO2 charts and figure out where you want your CO2 levels. At a KH of 4, and a pH at 6.6, you have 30ppm of CO2. At a KH of 5 (what I'm running) you have a CO2 of around 38 to 40ppm. The pH regent will be green at a pH of around 6.6.

You need to use pure water (RO/DI, distilled, etc) and add enough baking soda to get your water to whatever KH you want (this is the fun part - trust me, it doesn't take much baking soda). You then put this water in the drop checker and add a few drops of pH test regent. You want it dark, but not so dark that you can't see through it.

It will be BLUE when you first put it all together. After about 2 hours, you will see that it has changed. If green, your good. Yellow, to much CO2; still blue, not enough CO2.

I noticed in my ADA catalog, they say to use your aquarium water. This won't give you an accurate measurement because of other contaminates in the water. I guess it would give you some kind of idea?

I wish I knew this before using my drop checker!:idea: :bowing:

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
Yes - there's also a sticky post about "how to make standard KH solutions" or something - if you search my posts on that forum, AA or here, w/ "drop checker" you'll find a ton of info...
eg: AC Drop Checker thread
lengthy one at APC
KH solutions at AA

Basically, you need DI water & dry baking soda - and an accurate way to measure a large volume of the former & small weight of the latter - to make a 4 or 5 (you choose based on your CO2 target) dKH buffer. Add bromothymol blue indicator to it, put it in the drop checker, stick that in tank. Wait 1-3 hours.

Last edited:

dslam

AC Members
Jan 17, 2006
Squawkbert, were you there June 1 2001, when that god awful ripe stinker of a bomb "WWII Online" dropped? I still have nightmares about that buggy POS. I think I was on for 2 months before I realized I'd been had.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store