Lighting/Glass top

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
I was just wondering...my LFS recommends me keeping the glass top off of the (reef) aquarium to get direct light. How much does this matter and is this what is normally done?

Thanks.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
i always fee that a glass top reduces the ammount of oxygen transfer in a tank, you also have less evaporation with a glass lid..Oh, and it does effect the lights, as they are reduced as they go through the glass...

Just my opinion..

Niko

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
Thanks. I don't mind keeping the glass off, but I eventually want to get a firefish and a goby or two. I don't want to risk them jumping out. I was just wondering what others do.

Thanks again.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
If you have, or going to have carpet surfers, then am afraid a cover is really the only option...Is there any like fine plastic mesh sheet stuff you could use? non-metalic of course?

the cover also depends on your lighting...If you have bih metal halides blasting down, it kinda rules out plastic or acrylic tops i think...

Niko

Tab64

AC Members
Aug 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
I have used the egg crate panels you get at Home Depot. The come in 2'x4' panels. The ones with the larger spaces work better and are easier to cut to fit.

m007

m007
Jan 4, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Ditch the glass top. Surface agitation is a must and the glass top will become encrusted with salt residue. Further, the gas exchange will be greatly diminished with the top on. If you are worried about jumpers the egg crate idea sounds like a good one. What ever you use remember you will have to pull it off everytime you have to clean the glass or do other maintenance.

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
I have used the egg crate panels you get at Home Depot. The come in 2'x4' panels. The ones with the larger spaces work better and are easier to cut to fit.
Actually, I went to Home Depot two days ago and asked for the egg crate panels (on the advice of a friend of mine)...customer service didn't know what I was talking about and I couldn't find them after wandering around a few minutes.

I'm not 100% sure what they look like but if it's what I'm picturing, aren't the spaces large enough for the fish to get through?

As far as maintenance- I don't pull my other tank's glass panels off too often. I mean I don't need to for water changes or to feed the fish. I only do it whenever I want to clean the actual glass or the very back of the tank.

I guess you're suggesting something like this:

http://www.plaskolite.com/c-lighting-panels.htm

?

And to answer someone's question, yes I have metal halides.

Tab64

AC Members
Aug 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
Actually, I went to Home Depot two days ago and asked for the egg crate panels (on the advice of a friend of mine)...customer service didn't know what I was talking about and I couldn't find them after wandering around a few minutes.

I'm not 100% sure what they look like but if it's what I'm picturing, aren't the spaces large enough for the fish to get through?

As far as maintenance- I don't pull my other tank's glass panels off too often. I mean I don't need to for water changes or to feed the fish. I only do it whenever I want to clean the actual glass or the very back of the tank.

?

Yes it does not surprise me that they do not know by that name, most people who work there are not up on the common names of items. The item is found in the lighting department it is used for the long florescent lights that are placed in drop ceilings and they are the plastic panels that cover the fixture in the ceiling. If you can find the clear plastic sheets that are about 1/8" thick the egg crate are the ones that are maybe 3/8" thick with a checkerboard pattern and all the square are open like a honeycomb and the openings are maybe 3/8" square. They come in either a white plastic or a metallic plastic.

Last edited:

chap

chap
Jan 6, 2007
Doylestown, PA

?

Regarding the egg crate panels, I work at Home Depot, the panels are in the Electrical Dept. with the flourecent light fixtures.

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
Yes it does not surprise me that they do not know by that name, most people who work there are not up on the common names of items. The item is found in the lighting department it is used for the long florescent lights that are placed in drop ceilings and they are the plastic panels that cover the fixture in the ceiling. If you can find the clear plastic sheets that are about 1/8" thick the egg crate are the ones that are maybe 3/8" thick with a checkerboard pattern and all the square are open like a honeycomb and the openings are maybe 3/8" square. They come in either a white plastic or a metallic plastic.
Ahh, okay. I was also thinking of building something around the edges of the light.

Regarding the egg crate panels, I work at Home Depot, the panels are in the Electrical Dept. with the flourecent light fixtures.
Thank you. It's funny- they actually told me to go to Staples. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store