German (Blue) Rams vs. Bolivian Rams

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

enrique4jc

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Russell Springs, KY
Real Name
Eric
I am looking for a nice centerpiece fish (or couple of fish) for my 29 gallon tropical community tank. German or Bolivian Rams have been suggested by some on this board. Which is better suited for life in a community tank like mine (pending the changes noted in my signature)? Also, which would you consider of better color overall? I know the Bolivian Rams are supposed to color up a lot when it comes to spawning time, but otherwise, which is brighter and more colorful? Thanks in advance!

Hound

AC Members
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
Well, the german ram would most likely have better color, but ime bolivians seem a bit more hardy. Keep in mind these fish seem to like warm water. Typically 82-86f.

wackydan

Fun, not crazy.
Nov 21, 2005
Matthews, NC
I keep my Bolivians at 81-82. They are doing well. I also have soft water out of my tap, and I think that helps them as well.

Bolivians do get bigger than the Blues, and live longer, so they might make for a better centerpiece pair.... If you get a male/female pair then you should have them in a tank mostly to themselves. When two of mine spawned and were watching over the fry, they went after every fish that came near, including the cory who they typically don't give a hoot about.... The only thing the left be was the striped raphael for the obvious reasons......They will be getting their own 20 long soon.

mvirata

AC Members
Jan 5, 2007
Philly, PA
www.myspace.com
I am a newbie so keep that in mind in my opinion.

I never had bolivian rams but I have 2 blue rams. I got them as toddlers and they have been great in my tank for about a month. I got lucky but managed to get a boy and a girl (not knowing this until later.) They acclimated really well to the tank, in fact compared to my other fish they only hid for 2 hours after that they acted like they have been in the tank for years.

My other new fish (some who have been in the tank longer than the 2 rams) are still a little shy but these 2 rams go up to me when I feed them. The other newbies are settling in but I found these 2 to be the most comfortable in such a short time.

If you go with the blue rams make sure you get them in a pair in the same tank and look for the strongest ones. Look for 2 that square off, it is so much fun to watch them play fight. I got scared they were kililng each other but later I realized they were just playing because none of their fins are missing.

Also (as a newbie opinion) I believe the male blue ram is more white/blue whereas the female blue ram has a tint of gold in it. If you buy them as adults it is easier to spot a male/female based on their size, females are much smaller.

If I am wrong on this info I apologize but good luck, let us know what you get!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store