Do you turn off the filter during a water change

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Do you turn off your filter during water changes?

• Yes--I turn it off

Votes: 50 48.5%
  • No--I leave it on

Votes: 53 51.5%

• Total voters

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
My filter has been making a strange noise for hours after I plug it back in during water changes. If the intake tube is below the surface of the water, I think it is safe to leave it on, but I haven't tried it yet. I plan to today.

Mine is a HOB and I rinse the filter cartridges every time I change the water.

What do you do????

daayda3

AC Members
Sep 21, 2006
yes because my tube is so short... it wouldnt work after i do a WC

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
as long as the water is still flowing, i'd leave the filter running. if the water level is going to go down below the intake tube, then definitely turn it off .. you don't want to run a 'dry' filter.

making noise after you plug it back in could be many things. what kind of filter is it? is it running/pumping water but just noisy?

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
I have a Emperor 400. I took it apart twice and the water is still flowing. I can't figure it out. It goes away after a few hours. Sometimes to get it to go away, I fire it back up a couple of times. The intake tube is about 6.5 inches long on a 55 gallon long.

terrypowerz

AC Members
Jan 5, 2007
Westfield, IN
If it is a growling noise from the impeller, it is most likely air bubbles....

I have heard that myself...
Usually if you unplug and plug the power back in a couple of times it will force the trapped air out more quickly.

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
I have to shut mine down or air starts shooting through my aquarium. In another tank, the pump would be running without water so that needs to be shut down as well.

Ghostshrimp55

AC Members
Sep 30, 2005
I leave it on as long the intake is below the water level. I have an eheim and the intake is a little under a foot and a half away from the top of the tank. Only during HUGE water changes would I have to turn it off. As long as it can run wet, why not leave it on? It can help remove some of the debris kicked into the water column during a water change.

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
I wonder what will happen when I take the cartridges out when it is running. :huh:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store