Should I get a plant?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

-Jennie-

AC Members
Dec 29, 2006
I was thinking about adding a plant to my tank. I was told I could get a watersprite. I only have a 2.5 gal tank so it has to be something small, and easy to take care of.
If I got a plant is there anything I have to add to the water for it,or do I just plant it in with the gravel and let its do its own thing? I want the easiest plant to take care of. My tank is just finishing cycling and I I'm just waiting for Nitries to get down to zero. Would it mess up the tank if I got a plant and put it in there right now while its cycling, or would it help the tank cycle faster?
I have one apple snail in the tank right now and I have a filter. Is there any speacial type of lighting I need. The lighting that I have right now is two of the Marina® Micro LED Lights, Light Set, & Hub.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
yes, plants will cycle the tank much faster.

I personally reccomend some java moss. by far the most useful and atractive plant IMO.

what are you getting for the tank once it's cycled? a 2.5G isn't that ibg, I might just get some shrimp, no fish.

-Jennie-

AC Members
Dec 29, 2006
Well...The tank was cycled but I was over feeding and the water got all screwed up. I Right now I have an apple snail. I was hoping to get maybe one more snail or one very small fish.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
Well...The tank was cycled but I was over feeding and the water got all screwed up. I Right now I have an apple snail. I was hoping to get maybe one more snail or one very small fish.
if you get another apple snail they will breed, and there won't be enough room for the babies.

I seriously wouldn't put any kind of fish in a 2.5G. perhaps a betta, but they prefer more room, like a 5G.

-Jennie-

AC Members
Dec 29, 2006
I wont keep any babies...If they lay eggs ill would get rid of them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store