"... so I took it back to my LFS"

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Porthos

AC Members
Jan 15, 2007
I've been reading through a lot of old threads, and I see this phrase a lot:

"After a couple of days / weeks / months / years, the fish didn't work out, so I took it back to my LFS"

I'm just wondering if this is just a nice way of saying "I got rid of the fish", or do LFS really take back old fish? From everything I have heard, there is no returns on SW fish.

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
I don't keep saltwater fish but I have seen people bring back saltwater fish to the LFS I shop at all the time. They do not get any money, instead they are donations. However, the owners do not forget the donation and often give the person discounts on certain products and sometimes they will throw in extra stuff, like food, the next time you come in.

USCavalry19d

AC Members
Oct 27, 2005
Lexington, ky
I have returned many SW fish in the past. and my LFS always takes them back. They Give you credit on the value of the fish to buy anything in the store with. If you bought any fish that were small and cost something like $28.00 and return that same fish months or years later as a large adult it is worth more Depending on the fish i have seen some go for $128.00.

Porthos

AC Members
Jan 15, 2007
Interesting... I did not think that fish would be worth more as adults. I think I had the idea that younger fish were worth more as this is the way it is with other pets such as dogs and cats.

Anyways, you two have answered my question, and I now know that returning a fish will be an option for me if I ever have a fish that doesn't work out (although I hope this never happens :) )

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
I would just make sure and ask your LFS and others in your area what their policy is before buying your fish. Some require that you call ahead so they can make sure the have room for it while others may only take fish on certian days of the week.

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
Yep- my LFS takes back fish too (fresh and saltwater). The adults are worth more too.

:)

TwanDizzle

AC Members
Jul 31, 2006
well think about it, all of the websites that sell fish, you usually have 3 sizes, small medium, large.. each one costing more than the other.. so their age may not necessarily have anything to do with it, just the size.. on a side note, i realized that there's really not much difference in price when buying online compared to the LFS.. i saw a maxijet 900 for almost 40 bucks, where as i spent 60 and some odd change for TWO maxijet 1200's PLUS next day shipping... the base price for the 1200's was 18 a piece, from marinedepot...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store