$100 dollars to spend on equipment - What would you get?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zmazza

nano r33f 4 u
Feb 21, 2006
I've got a budget to get a 55 gallon tank for $100 dollars. I'm going to be building the stand myself, so that's pretty much in the budget as well. As for equipment, I've got a RENA XP2 and a Penguin 200 Biowheel filter that I will be using. I also have the heater.

I've got about $100 dollars to spend on equipment for this tank. I've got a seperate budget for fish.

What do you guys think I should get? What would you get? Items include gravel, sand, rock, decorations, upgraded lighting, more filtration, etc.

Post away!

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
are you doing plants? what kind of fish are you getting? that makes a big difference as far as what kind of lighting and decorations.
well, this is what i got for my tank, and it's working out pretty well.

sand - 1 bag Quikrete medium grade sand - $6
background - 1 large black trashbag - free (stolen from work)
plants - 5 bunches Hornwort - $12
driftwood - 3 pieces - $65
cave - 1 md terra cotta pot, broken into 2 halves - $2
lights - 2 standard strips from old 10g tanks - no cost

euglossa

AC Members
Nov 9, 2006
I'm not sure what the price difference would be, but since you won't be running a UGF, how about getting some porcelin tiles at a home center for the bottom instead of gravel.

I was told to use porcelin, don't know/wouldn't chance using terra cotta or painted tile.

I used some slate looking tile for my 75, at about $1/piece. I had to have a few cuts made to fit the dimensions of my tank at 50 cents a cut. Be sure to measure the inside of the tank! I spent about $10 for the bottom.

I also added about 5 pounds of gravel, scattered here and there for looks.

It's easy to keep vacuumed and looks nice.

Anchoring plants is a problem though. Someone here suggested drilling holes in the tile and glueing plants in place with silica. Good idea, my tank was already set up and filled-but I may yet pull out one tile at a time and do that.

I bought a mat of plastic plants for egg scatterers. I cut it out in naturalistic shapes and placed it around the rocks. I stuck a taller plastic plant through the base grid in two of the pieces. That was under $15, but less than buying many low plastic plants.

The little rock cottage in the right front I built up from several pieces given to me by a friend. The driftwood was downright expensive. I bought the taller plastic plants a couple at a time.

get a back for the tank, I have since added a black background, looks much more finished and the fish are brighter against it.

good luck.

full tank.jpg

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Someone here suggested drilling holes in the tile and glueing plants in place with silica.
That was me!

I'm pretty sure, anyway.

Yeah, it was me.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
silicone??

if you are using silicone as an adhesive..just make sure you use aquarium safe silicone. many silicones had additives in them that may leach into the tank and may be toxic.

smbjedi

May the fish be with you.
Dec 20, 2006
Dallas, TX
i would invest in a gnarly piece of african root driftwood. its self sinking and really interesting. can be alittle pricey, i paid 7 dollars a pound for mine (its really heavy) the pics doesnt do it justice

Driftwood.gif

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
I was told to use porcelin, don't know/wouldn't chance using terra cotta or painted tile.
used terracotta pots for years and never had a problem. they are safe.

i would pick up a extra heater. its always a better idea to have two. $20
hope depot gravel/sand $10
shop lights and bulbs $10
driftwood rocks what ever you have left.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store