"pest" snails, beneficial?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fballguy

yum
Feb 27, 2006
Everett, WA
www.freshwaterfanatics.com
I just wanted to get people's thoughts on the subject. Do you think pond snails, common ramshorns, and malaysian trumpet snails are beneficial for an aquarium, or bad for an aquarium?

Personally, I love having them in my aquarium. I have all 3 species, it has been almost quite a while now and they have yet to even come close to overpopulating. They get down into the java moss to eat any food that falls through where fish can't get it, and they keep the glass absolutely spotless. I feel that as long you vacuum once a week and as long as you don't overfeed, the snails do not have enough food to supply a huge colony, and the won't overpopulate the tank.

Thoughts?

Twill

AC Members
Jan 5, 2007
Davenport, Iowa
I agree. I have MTS and pond snails in my tank, and I think they are a valuable addition. Plus, I really enjoy watching them.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
I also agree. they are quite good at cleaning my 5g, and since the glass is the only good place to lay eggs, I can always make sure the poipulation is uder control (as well as gravel vacuuming regularly.)

webcricket

(So chill.) No wonder it's freezing
Mar 22, 2006
Syracuse, NY
I also keep pond snails and add them to any new tank I set up. As you said, they won't overpopulate so long as you don't overfeed the fish. Pond snails also won't eat plants (unless the plant is decaying). As an added bonus, they really will keep the glass pretty darn spotless!

I think small snails make the tank look natural.

Pepe

AC Members
Jan 1, 2007
Is it possible to calculate the bioload of a population of snails?

skeletonhand

Landscaper Extraordinaire
Sep 9, 2006
Lincoln, NE
I like having "pest" snails in my tanks. They work good for cleaning the nooks and crannies bigger clean-up crew members have trouble with. MTS work good for keeping the substrate clean in my planted tanks.

SmallFishi

I'm addicted to Aquaria Central!
Nov 8, 2006
Canada
I'm undecided I think it would freak me out to see the gravel moving like it does at my LFS!! (MTS) I have brought a couple in on plants in my 20 gallon and i've taken them out as their shells are too hard for fig 8 puffers when they get full grown.
I have a breeder tank for pond snails to feed the puffer but so far the puffer is snail friendly and the ponds that I have put in for him to eat have layed eggs in with the puffer and are all living happily together... lol.
I don't mind the Pond Snails the MTS are pretty but scare me for some reason, definately the gravel moving thing.. lol

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
While I'm not all that fond of pond snails, I love my my MTS. I have a pretty heavily planted tank so they do a wonder mixing up the substrate, eating extra food, and cleaning up any plant debris that may be in the tank that I can't reach with my syphon. I have some ramshorns but I don't think I would miss them if they disappeared.

bkw1982

I'M GOING TO ZOMBIELAND
Aug 6, 2006
San Antonio, TX
i luv my snails. i have pond, MTS, and red rams. luv watchin the ponds surf and free fall, rams add nice color to the tank, and MTS are just cool to watch dig, their like havin movin gravel. snails are both fun to watch and are a beneficial clean up crew and gravel fluffer.

it seemed at first tht the ponds were goin to rule the tank, then MTS had their turn, now the red rams are rulers. never had an "overpopulation of snails. helps tht my betta eats the eggs off the plants.

GO SNAILS!!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store