best return pumps? and help with DIY sump design

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

loaches r cool

Snail Terminator
Feb 15, 2006
Gahanna, Ohio
tristan.homelinux.net
Ok, my next tank project will involve the use of a sump tank - first time I have done this. I have read for a while about easy to make DIY wet/dry trickle filters, and how the design can be adapted to a heavily planted tank by removing the wet/dry part and making some minor changes (to avoid CO2 gass-off).

I need to start putting this together asap so any suggestions are appreciated. First thing is what is a good brand of return pump? The main tank is 240G and the sump will be a 75G tank. It will be heavily planted so I dont need a 10X turnover or anything, I am guessing 3X or 4X turnover would be plenty. I currently have an unused quiet one 3000 pump, not sure if this brand is reliable and quiet? I figure for redundancy and since I have two overflow chambers anyhow, that I will use 2 return pumps. What I am looking for are reputable return pumps that are fairly quiet and fully submersable. I might put a passive canister in the return line like the lifegaurd modular ones or maybe an ocean clear. Would this be a good idea for added filtration?

Here is a basic design so far. My scanner broke so I tried to whip up something with my 3d software.

Nothing set in stone yet and not everything is shown but the basic idea is I'll have two drain lines comming down on the right hand side that are submerged (to avoid surface agitation and CO2 gass-off). Then will be a low-pass thing that as I understand will confine buble to the first chamber. Then a filter pad of some sort for mechincal filtration. Then the main chamber will probably have the heaters (not shown). There is a small pump and UV filter (above the sump) in the picture as well. Then a spot were the water flows over a short wall, under another wall then back over a short wall. In the bottom of this section would be some bio media (pot scrubbers or something like that)? And lastly would be a pair of return pumps. Like I said above I am thinking about extra filtration in the return line like an ocean clear filter or lifegaurd modular setup (on one return line or both). If I use an inline canister I might not even have any bio or mechanical filters in the sump (other than UV), would simplify the design. Any suggestions appreciated! And in the meantime I'll keep searching for design ideas using the search.

Omega

Clowning Around
Dec 29, 2005
Surrey, BC, Canada
Regarding a pump, definitely go with Eheim.

The difference in sound between that and my Mag pump is night and day. You can hardly even tell the Eheim is on while the Mag rattles and hums.

It's more expensive but well worth it, IMO.

Rallysman

Stinkfist
Aug 2, 2006
Indiana
I would stick with quiet one. They're inexpensive, powerful, and quiet. I have 2 model 4000s on my 300 and I cant hear them at all because of the Little Giant running the 265 setting next to it.

I would skip mag drives. They're over rated IMO.
I've never tried the Eheim because their flow rates are too low.

loaches r cool

Snail Terminator
Feb 15, 2006
Gahanna, Ohio
tristan.homelinux.net
Ok, one vote Eheim one vote Quiet One. I did a search on eheim pumps and the largest they seem to have right now is 1262 rated about 900gph and about 12' head. Thats pretty decent but the pumps are like $130/ea. and I'd want 2. For quiet one, looks like the 4000 would probably work well for me and is $55. I am just guestimating around a 6' head, that would put the QO4000 at about 600gph. It might be closer to 8' heads though depending on plumbing and if I have any idea how to calculate it lol (which would put the QO4000 at 400gph). And like I said I already have a QO3000 that is new in the box, but I might end up using this for something else, like perhaps automated drain or fill, since at a 6-8 foot head would be starting to get under 400 gph.

Any other pumps to consider? Rallysman - are you saying the pumps arent that quite just that you cant hear them because something else is noisey? Or are they decently quiet?

Any other thoughts on the actual sump design? SHould I try and DIY filters in the sump or just leave it all open for other equipment and to simply be a resevoir, running canisters inline with the return pumps? And if I do put something in the return pump path like an ocean clear, how much would that reduce the flow?

Rallysman

Stinkfist
Aug 2, 2006
Indiana
Any other pumps to consider? Rallysman - are you saying the pumps arent that quite just that you cant hear them because something else is noisey? Or are they decently quiet?
They are very quiet pumps. When I shut my Little Giant down for water changes I still have to look at the return to make sure they're running. I have no complaints about them at all.

Rallysman

Stinkfist
Aug 2, 2006
Indiana
I just used the supplied hose connectors and used flexible 1" line on each of them.
The thread is a straight thread sealed with an "O" ring so be sure that you use the right thread if you go with a different connector (Not pipe thread)

loaches r cool

Snail Terminator
Feb 15, 2006
Gahanna, Ohio
tristan.homelinux.net
Thats cool, I was thinking about using clear tubbing, so then no slippage problems (since the fitting doesnt appear to be barbed, by the picture)? That will actually simplify the process a little, since I figured I'd plumb in soft hose somewhere to cut down on vibration, but if I can just start right from the pump with soft tubbing, thats simpler. Is that 1" ID or OD that you used?

Rallysman

Stinkfist
Aug 2, 2006
Indiana
IIRC it was 1" ID. The fittings arent barbed, but I just used a stainless hose clamp and have had no leaks.

loaches r cool

Snail Terminator
Feb 15, 2006
Gahanna, Ohio
tristan.homelinux.net
Ok I have drawn up some diagrams and took pics of them with my camera... if anyone is still watching this I'd appreciate any suggestions:

This design is just a whim, still considering different ideas. It has filter floss as the first stage (right hand side) that is as large as my 75g tank except shorter (for emergency clog overflow). Then there would be a boatload of lava rock, just figuring it will be cheap to use lava rock anyway. Then a sponge filter, and some media bags with something like Matrix just for added bio filtration, and then of course the pump. I am still open for ideas on what media would be best here, but I'd amagine with a huge amount of lava rock that would suffice?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store