Should I get rid of the carbon in my aquaclear?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

clawlan

Don't harass the sea turtles!
Dec 29, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Alright, I have an aquaclear 70 for a 28 gallon tank. Currently i have the sponge, carbon, and 2 biomax medias in it. Becuase I added a 2nd biomax but didn't remove the carbon, this 2nd biomax bag is partially sticking out of the water. It has all been running like this for about 2 weeks. Should I pull the carbon filter? My ammonia and nitrites are still above 0 but I do have some nitrates finally.

I bring all this up because the water is slightly cloudy (white cloudy, not green). From reading previous posts, it appears to be normal but not sure if its a filter media issue.

rosita

Here
Jan 11, 2006
Cape Fear River Basin
I agree with mGamer. I have 2 AquaClear filters, and just run a sponge on bottom, biobag on top. Does just fine. Carbon is really only necessary when you need to clean meds out of your tank.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I throw the biomax in the trash and run sponges and floss. Carbon us for specific needs as opposed to general use.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
The carbon isn't that effect in the form you have. You may not need it, but it should be used for general use IMO.

A water change does not equate to the use of carbon.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
The white cloudy water is a bacterial bloom and can happen in an uncycled tank when there is an excess of food. It will calm down and carbon won't fix it.

Floss is simply filter floss. Looks like quilt batting and is generally quite cheep in a bag. It is good for getting rid of large debris in a tank and can be thrown out and replaced often.

I agree that after 2 weeks the carbon isn't doing anything, tough at the moment it is a place where bacteria is growing so I would say leave it for now until the tank has cycled. Throwing it out now may mean a slight setback with the loss of a portion of your good bacteria. You may still get a slight imbalance in the cycle after you eventually throw it out bu tthe tank will probably be much more able to take care of that.

Daudzegier

Tropical Aquascaper
Dec 31, 2006
Knoxville, TN
Go ahead and take out the charcoal. Its useless by this time. As for your biomedia sticking out of the water, that is fine, infact it helps it. I would replace your charcoal with another biomedia.

clawlan

Don't harass the sea turtles!
Dec 29, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Go ahead and take out the charcoal. Its useless by this time. As for your biomedia sticking out of the water, that is fine, infact it helps it. I would replace your charcoal with another biomedia.
another bio media huh? That would make 3 in there (lol), but the more the merrier i guess. So far I have the aquaclear sponge and 2 aquaclear biomass bags. I have no problem getting another one. Should I try a different kind or different brand for poops and giggles? What do you recommend?

EDIT: Well, i decided to take the safe route and put the charcoal back in (on top) just in case it has some bacteria in there. I really need it now since im still cycling...

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store