Bolivian Rams laid eggs!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
:thm: I've had 3 Bolivian Rams now for over 1 year with no sign of breeding behaviour. Yesterday evening I noticed that 2 of them colored up really bright and displayed the behaviour of selecting a place for laying eggs. I didn't really think too much of it since I've had these guys for so long now. Low and behold, last night before I went to bed, there were eggs all over the smooth rock they chose! :dance: I was so excited! Unfortunately I kind of knew they wouldn't be there this morning, cuz my loaches "wake up" and feed through the night.
My rams looked so lost after the eggs were eaten........:( Maybe they will try again and I will be ready for them!
It's weird how you can have such an emotional attachment to them........I felt like a daddy!:dance2:

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
I'm kind of hoping. I wouldn't mind setting up a ram only tank!:)

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
if you want to try with any success..you'll probably need to move the rams to a seperate tank.

but congrats on what could be a pair.

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
would it be possible to just move the eggs to a seperate tank?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
would it be possible to just move the eggs to a seperate tank?
yes you can.

if you do you'll need to add a bit of circulation near the eggs(airstones work well)

the parents 'fan' the eggs to do this..you may need to add methylene blue or hydrogen peroxide to the tank with the eggs(fungus inhibitor)..they eggs should hatch in about 3 .
when they hatch do not use any fungus inhibitorsdays..wigglers watch for dead / dyig wiggers and remove them if you can. 3 days later you will get freeswimmers.

you can try fry food (first bites) but I have had much better luck with BBS.

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
Thx. Star_rider.

I will watch for more successful breeding from my rams and go from there.

:)

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
well my guess is in the next 2-4 weeks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store