Using shrimp to clean UGF?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Matak

Out of the blue!
Jun 18, 2002
Near Toronto
I have a 40 watt idea. What if I released a couple of Amano shrimp under the plate of my RFUGF?

Would it:
1) Be humane (too dark, enough food etc?)
2) Be effective? Would they eat whatever builds up under a UGF plate? Would what they excrete be just as much a problem?

Tim Bo

Does fuzzy logic tickle?
Apr 11, 1999
Copenhagen, Denmark
hjem.get2net.dk
I do not consider that to be very humane since it seems a shame to me to hide them from sight and deprive them of 'free' movement. I also don't think they would be more effective than manually cleaning it once a year...

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Amanos eat more or less what fish eat, if you include alage eaters in fish. What makes you think they will eat any of the humus/compost under the filter plate? I don't think they would have any effect.

Matak

Out of the blue!
Jun 18, 2002
Near Toronto
As far a movement is concerned, I think they would have a fair amount of room to move in a 12" X 12" X 3/4" area, but I am concerned about treating them humanely. As far as what they eat, I thought they ate algae, decomposed food and decomposed vegetative matter.

It was really just an idea and I was hoping for knowledgable responses like yours.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
OK, there is the misunderstanding - the shrimp will eat algae, leftover fish food (for which they will compete with the fish, so 'left-over" may not apply), and any dying plant parts. The decomposed food or plant materials is food only for a few bacteria and fungi.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store