Adding fish to salt/heat treated tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rjrevers

AC Members
Nov 16, 2006
Chicago, Il
yesterday i started salt/heat teatment in my 55 gal. I lost power for 5hrs a couple of days ago when it was below 0 temps and my tank temp dropped. My tiger barbs all have ich/spots none of the other fish show any symptoms just the tigers. The last two times i got ich was when i added the two groups of tigers/seperate occasions. Each time they where the only ones who seemed to get it. I have heard that they are very succeptible to ich. I want to add 2 more green tigers to bring me back up to 5/currently at 3 now. I dont have a quarantine tank and i'm curious if I carefully acclimate them to the temp and water would it be ok to add them during treatment to avoid the possibility of adding them after and getting ich again? the last 2 times the tigers brought in ich were from different stores. One of which i have never had any trbl with. It just seems that ich comes w/ them

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
don't add any more fish until you have finished treating the ones you already have. adding more fish will pose cycling problems as well as increasing stress and the possibility of even more disease. before you get more fish you should determine WHY you are having this problem. stress from immune weakness or fighting and bad water conditions contribute to ich infestation. until your fish have reached a healthy level and maintained that degree of health you should not add more fish.

rjrevers

AC Members
Nov 16, 2006
Chicago, Il
the reason for the outbreak is due to temp drop to 68 degrees. there have been no other stress or trouble lately. the only other times ive had ich is on new additions of tigers which is why i was thinking i should add them while treating

rjrevers

AC Members
Nov 16, 2006
Chicago, Il
the last times i treated for ich i used meds and only for 3 or 4 days and probably never really got rid of it. this time i am going w salt/heat and continuing til i know its gone for good. this is why i am considering adding the 2 new tigers now. these will be the last fish i plan to add to this tank so rather than risk another outbreak i would add them now when i know i am going to get rid of it all

rjrevers

AC Members
Nov 16, 2006
Chicago, Il
btw all water params normal 0 amm-0 nitrites-nitrates never above 20. 25% water changes every 2-3 days. normal temp about 76 degrees. although i am considering upping the normal temp a little during the winter now just in case.

is300zx

AC Members
Jan 1, 2006
You can try adding the tiger barbs into the treatment but you would have to do it very gradually. I would use the drip aclimation method to do this. The slower the better. Personally, I would wait after the treatment is done before adding anything and actually quarantine the new additions first. This is because you never know what other diseases besides ich the new additions may bring.

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
don't add any more fish until you have finished treating the ones you already have. adding more fish will pose cycling problems as well as increasing stress and the possibility of even more disease. before you get more fish you should determine WHY you are having this problem. stress from immune weakness or fighting and bad water conditions contribute to ich infestation. until your fish have reached a healthy level and maintained that degree of health you should not add more fish.
i agree. when your having problems i wouldnt add anything. mini cycles illness anything.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I would also not add now.

Also sounds as if you need a new source for aquiring your fish. While they are often carrying ich, it shouldn't be considered normal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store