Lake M and lake T cichlids together

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dwarfgourami7

Steve the angelfish
Nov 13, 2006
England! uk
I can spell the two lake's names so i won't try. Basicly after i went into my lfs and saw a few tanks clearly selling M and T cichlids just from looking. Next time i have to stock my 30G i would like to make an african cichlid tank but can the two types of cichlids live together or will it strictly have to be either a lake T or lake M set up?

Aquaken

AC Members
Aug 31, 2004
A 30g is too small for a lot of Malawi species so why not just do lake Tang.

If you insist on Malawi be sure to get one of the smallest species like demasoni or saulosi.

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
not compatible.

African cichlid from Lake Malawi do best in water with a chemistry of: pH 7.7-8.6, GH 160-280 ppm, KH 180-240 ppm. Malawi is considered a Class 1 lake: Class I lakes have low total concentrations of ions [alkalinity usually less than 6 milliequivalents per liter (meq/L) and conductivity of less than 600 µS (µmho).

Lake Tanganyikan is a Class II lake: Class II lakes have higher total ion concentrations (alkalinity of about 6 to 60 meq/L), and conductivity of between 600 and 6000 µS. The higher ion concentrations of solutes are primarily sodium carbonate and bicarbonate. the chemistry required by these cichlids is: pH 8.5-9.4, GH 240-320 ppm and KH 180-240 ppm.

GirlieGirl8521

Planted Tank Collector
Dec 21, 2006
Alabama
Ditto! ^^

In a 30g, I'd go with Lake Tanganyikans...alot of them are small enough for that size tank.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Doesn't matter which one is more or less hardy. They are not compatible.

dwarfgourami7

Steve the angelfish
Nov 13, 2006
England! uk
Ok then. They are not compatable. That rule is in effect on me now. It just seems that not only are tang cichlids less hardy but they are more expensive. I just want to know in the long term which type is better to keep. I don't want to spend £80+ on fish that will die in a few weeks. I just like the cool colours shapes and behaviour these fish have to offer.

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
Specifically what Lake Malawi and Lake Tanganyika cichlids are you considering? I wouldn't necessarily categorize the lake tang. cichlids as being less hardy.

Each lake contains a great diversity of cichlids which in my opinion can't be lumped into a single group when it comes to categorizing them as fitting a single characteristic.

Non-compatiblity typically involves significant differences in dietary needs, behavioral patterns, aggression, ideal water requirements, etc.

dwarfgourami7

Steve the angelfish
Nov 13, 2006
England! uk
Basicly. I like the colours and the general look of both types of african cichlids. The key factor is size because they will be going in my 30G when i re-stock it. What will be better. Also my ph is steady at 7.5 and thats better for lake M cichlids and i dont like to buffer my water unless i have naturaly buffering things in my tank as decor or what ever.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store