Clean up Crew with Damsel?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sevenstar

AC Members
Jan 1, 2007
I am going to buy a couple of creatures to create my cleanup crew. I know Damsels are very aggressive fish and just realized they might be a problem for any cleanup crew members I decide to buy. Can anyone suggest any hardy cleanup crew members that the damsel wouldn't mind? All my tank info is in my siggy.

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
you said in your otherpost that your tank has been set up for about 7 weeks now right? i hope youdidnt cycle with that damsel if you dont even have a clean up crew yet :(
anyways, damsels can be territorial to other fish, but you shouldnt have any problems as far as clean up crews. all the usualys, the damsels shouldnt pick on.
the usualy blue leg hermits and turbo snails will do the trick.

Sevenstar

AC Members
Jan 1, 2007
Nope. I believe in fishless cycle only :) I used liverock and sand to cycle my tank. I just got my damsel about a week and a half ago. The poor guy was being sold as a cycle fishy though.

Sevenstar

AC Members
Jan 1, 2007
you said in your otherpost that your tank has been set up for about 7 weeks now right? i hope youdidnt cycle with that damsel if you dont even have a clean up crew yet :(
anyways, damsels can be territorial to other fish, but you shouldnt have any problems as far as clean up crews. all the usualys, the damsels shouldnt pick on.
the usualy blue leg hermits and turbo snails will do the trick.
Any special care with hermits, like laying down some extra empy shells? I heard they will sometimes attack snails for their shells. As for the turbo snails, will they multiply extremely fast? I won't become overun with them if I get a couple correct? Heh, thats my fear of being a FW owner talking :)

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
haha. yeah, definatly put down some larger shells for the hermits.
a just watch out. i have a huge blue leg in my tank who can travel pretty fast and knows exactly when i am feeding my duncanopsammia:mad2: , so i have to isolate him for a while until it eats. just like any shrimp, they will steal any food they find from corals
it is possible for turbos as well as some other popular snails in saltwater to breed, but you arent oging to get overrun with them because jsut about all will not survive.

Sevenstar

AC Members
Jan 1, 2007
haha. yeah, definatly put down some larger shells for the hermits.
a just watch out. i have a huge blue leg in my tank who can travel pretty fast and knows exactly when i am feeding my duncanopsammia:mad2: , so i have to isolate him for a while until it eats. just like any shrimp, they will steal any food they find from corals
it is possible for turbos as well as some other popular snails in saltwater to breed, but you arent oging to get overrun with them because jsut about all will not survive.
The blue legs look pretty amazing for a simple hermit crab. Thank you for the suggestion. I am glad the snails won't be a problem. I still have bad images of FW tank my friend had that was overun with snails. It was only a 20G and had probably 200 slimy snails. And was when the tank was "improving".

And nice heads up about the blue leg stealing food. I wont be adding any soft corals for another 2-3 months, but its something to lookout for in the future.

One more small question. Do I probably have a couple of small cleanup creatures in my tank that I don't know about? When I first started my tank all the sand was nicely distributed. Now its always changing and uneven. Is this due to tiny creatures or just my filter? I wish I had a redlight so I could take a look at what comes out at night.

valentine

~go go Elektro~
Mar 4, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
i have a tank with a clown and a blue damsel, the clown doesn't mind anything, but i've noticed that the damsel will stir up the sand, and occasionally pick up the smaller hermit crabs by their shells and move them away from the fake skull he claimed as his home! he uses his tail to swish the sand, and sometimes picks it up and moves it, so this may be what has been making your sand uneven, although if it is moving a lot, then there's probably another reason as well.

hope this helps!

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
many fish will disturb the sand, and yes, your filters and powerheads will do that also. but you alsp probably have a plethora of other creatures. lol. different bristle worms, peanut worms, spagettie worms, all sorts of pods, and probably more.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store