green algae in a new african cichlid tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

igetbombed

AC Members
Jan 10, 2006
Hello,

I have kept cichlids for years, and just re-started my tank after moving into a new place. All my levels are find (ph, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite), the temp is at 79, but I have an abundance of green algae growing on all my rocks. By rocks, I'm not referring to the crushed coral on the bottom, I mean rather large decorative rocks that I have purchased throughout the years.

What is the best way to get rid of this?? Do I take them out of the tank and scrub them - or is there something (a chemical?) that I can add to the water to get rid of it.

Please help as this hasn't really happened to me before. Also - any advice as to how this stuff gets into the tank so I can prevent it in the future.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Take them out, scrub with mild bleach and water solution. Rinse like crazy, soak in water dechlor.

Investigate why you have the algae now and not before...food light sources...phosphates ...

GirlieGirl8521

Planted Tank Collector
Dec 21, 2006
Alabama
We definitely need more info! Africans are really messy so my theory is that the abundance of nitrAtes and possibly phosphates in the water really feed the algae. My Malawi tank is overrun with algae. It started as brown diatoms, then turned to green. I've learned to live with it. The green stuff actually looks cool on the rocks...looks really natural. I do have a problem with brown algae on the glass though, but I just wipe it when I do water changes.

To add to the questions above, how much and what type of lighting do you have over the tank?

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
why remove it at all. African cichlids from Lake Malawi are algae scrapers and would really appreciate grazing on your algae covered rocks

GirlieGirl8521

Planted Tank Collector
Dec 21, 2006
Alabama
They definitely are. I have little marks on the back glass of my Malawi tank where the fish have eaten it. :) They also graze on the algae covered rocks too.

Even if you keep other types of Africans that don't eat the algae, some of it (especially on rocks) looks natural.

igetbombed

AC Members
Jan 10, 2006
thanks for the help.....

Here is as much info as possible:

Tank Size: 75 Gallon
Light: The flourescent light that came w/the tank
Filtration: The big eheim cannister filter, and a penguin hang on the back filter as well(the really big one).

Just started the tank about 1 month ago. I started off by seeding my tank w/filter media, gravel, and about 5 gallons of water from a friend of mine's tank that has been up and running for years. I did notice that some of the gravel he gave me had green algae on it - but he told me green algae was not bad for the tank, so I thought nothing of it. Let the tank run for about 2 days with nothing in it. I then added 3 tetras, which were in the tank alone for about 10 days. AT the end of the 10 days - my ammonia came back down to zero - my ph was right where I like it (8.1), and my nitrate/nitrite level are both in "safe zone" (I use quick dip strips, so I don't know the #'s, but the colors correspond to "safe zone" for both nitrate and nitrites), so I then added my first cichlids. I bought two juvenile "misc. mbuna" that were orange from my LFS. They were alone in the tank for about 1 week along w/the tetras, and I again tested everything & all was well, so I added 2 yellow labs and 1 compressicep yellow top (again all juvies like 1 inch or just under 1 inch). They were fine, and I have since added 1 pleco and 1 albino malawain cichlid (I apologize for not knowing their names).

So any thoughts here? I read your advice, and bleaching my rocks scares me to no end. I've read other people say the same thing, but I can't see myself being comofortable doing that. Do you think removing the rock and just scrubbing with a brush (that has never touched anything else) would do the trick??

I'm really baffled by this, as I had cichlid tanks for about 12 years now, and this has never been an issue. Could it have been the seeding material I got from my friend's tank? Should I even worry about it - as some of you say its actually good to have it so they can pluck it off for some food. Please help, your input is greatly appreciate4d.

GirlieGirl8521

Planted Tank Collector
Dec 21, 2006
Alabama
How often do you do water changes?

I'd personally invest in a liquid test kit. Since the tank is cycled, just having a nitrAte test would be fine I think. A whole master kit would be better though. NitrAtes can get really high with Africans because they are so messy...even as juveniles.

I found this:
Green Algae — Usually the most common type of algae, green algae is a positive indicator of good water conditions. Herbivorous fish like Malawi Mbuna will eat it readily. Reducing the amount of light and sources of nitrates will help control a green algae outbreak. This type of algae can lead to algae blooms that turn the water green as a result of too much light or direct sun light.
from http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/algae_types.php

Seems that nitrAtes indeed contribute to this type of algae. If you aren't already, I'd start doing weekly 50% water changes. That should take away alot of the nitrates that are feeding the algae.

How long do you leave your tank lights on for?

igetbombed

AC Members
Jan 10, 2006
tank lights...

I turn them on when I wake up (6am), and then shut them off at dinner time (6:00PM), sometimes a little longer like 8:00PM.

Is that too long??

I will up my water changes to once a week. I've been doing once every 2-3 weeks, and maybe that is the problem.

Thanks for the input.

donfenk

AC Members
Jan 4, 2007
New Jersey
Try reducing the amount of time your lights are on - looks like you are bettween 12 and 14 hours. I dont have any live plants in my african tank and usually limit light to about 5 hours a day- i still get some build up over time and i just clean the rocks ever third water change or so.

My rocks are flat and when they turn green i just flip them all over and the undersides are nice and clean - that way i dont have to wash every time. I have a before and after cleaning of my african tank in the tank section and you can see the build up that i get in a months time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store