YELLOW TANG PLEASE HELP!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

b18sol6

AC Members
Feb 6, 2006
Asheville, NC
I need somwe help from someone. My yellow tang has been swimming around like crazy for the past few hours. He goes from one side of the tank to the other stops then does it again. Back and forth. Not really sure what could be wrong if any thing. If anyone can help please let me know.

He has been in my setup for about 3 weeks with no problems. Have oc. clownfish and blue eyed tang, and anenome in the tank with him. They all have been fine together with no problems.

:help: :help: :help:

Blueiz

THE TypoQUEEN
Sep 5, 2005
NC
Im not on the salty side..but think this is still applicable. Have you tested your water parameters to see if they are in line?

Blue

b18sol6

AC Members
Feb 6, 2006
Asheville, NC
All my parameters seem good.
Temp-78F
salinity-1.023
ph-8.2
nitrates-5
ammonia-0
nitrite-0
phosphate-0

If there is anything else I should be checking Ill do it now just let me know. My fish just looks like hes losing his mind.

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
That's normal behavior when tangs are first introduced to the tank... these fish really like to swim, and need large open areas to swim. They seem to calm down once the've been in captivity for a while. At first there also scared of people, which is why they swim along the back of the tank. So how big is your tank?

Also, if you look at the fish late at night, do not be concerned about the sickly looking coloration... that's normal too.

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
This seems pretty normal to me.

Have you added any new livestock since you got him? Do you keep seaweed up for him to nibble on? Tangs love seaweed (and algae). Mine go nuts when I put some in the tank- they rip it up and tear it to shreds. I provide it for them daily.

Maybe this will give you more information:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=392&N=0

b18sol6

AC Members
Feb 6, 2006
Asheville, NC
Ive had him for about 3 weeks and I havent added anything else to the tank since. Its a 55 gal tank. He has been very scared when I go up to the tank he just hides behiend the rock. But he has never acted like this before. And I know what you mean about the way he looks at night, sickly for sure. This is just vey abnormal behavior for him, comparing it to when I first got him.
I hope this is just normal, I just have never seen this out of him before.

And yes I do give him seaweed every other day, sometimes he eats some, but most of the time he doesnt really want anything to do with it. I put it on a clip inside the tank. Is there a better way to do it? And should I just leave the seaweed in all the time or Im a giving to him enough now?

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
And yes I do give him seaweed every other day, sometimes he eats some, but most of the time he doesnt really want anything to do with it. I put it on a clip inside the tank. Is there a better way to do it? And should I just leave the seaweed in all the time or Im a giving to him enough now?
I would think every other day is fine...especially if he's not really eating it. The yellow tang I used to have would be very aggressive with his seaweed- I also used a veggie clip. Of course, not all fish will act the same way and he could still be adjusting in his new home.

I would just wait it out and make sure there are no obvious signs of distress and that you keep up on your tank maintenance.

:)

b18sol6

AC Members
Feb 6, 2006
Asheville, NC
Well he seems to be back to his normal self now.
Thanks for the advise, I guess I just got a little freaked out. That just seems so strange how he was acting. Well better just keep my eye on him.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Hey man how big is your tank and how much live rock do you have? Usually it is just a new adjustment but, sometimes if they don't have enough area they freak out.
cheers
Max

b18sol6

AC Members
Feb 6, 2006
Asheville, NC
Hey man how big is your tank and how much live rock do you have? Usually it is just a new adjustment but, sometimes if they don't have enough area they freak out.
cheers
Max
Its a 55 gal. Ive got about 45lbs of live rock now. He always seems like he is ok, just yesterday he went nuts. He seems to be doing fine today.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store