Which Cory?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

golfnfish

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
NoCal
Visit site
I've got a 5 gal tank that's seems to have finally settled. It's inhabitants include one adult Gold Dust molly, one of her 18-day old fry and two zebra danios. This is my first tank.

I'd like to add 2 small corys to help keep things tidy and need some advice. I know I need smaller corys, but what type should I look for?

MMX

AC Members
Nov 30, 2002
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
It's just a matter of your own preference &/or the availability of species at your LFS, IMHO. :cool:

You won't go wrong with any of the playful & cute ones.

e.g.,

Pygmy Corys (Corydoras pygmaeus) -> grows up to 3 cm only.

Albino Corys (Corydoras aeneus) -> most playful.

firetank

calibration boy
Nov 27, 2002
Visit site
dont mollies like slightly brackish water??

I may be wrong but i dont think corys will go with that....

remember if you do you need to get them in small group....

great fun to watch

Pootspete

AC Members
Jul 26, 2001
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
members.tripod.com
Yes, I know that mollies do better in brackish water. I do not know either if cories would survive in brackish water.

Still, if I were to choose cories, I like the peppered ones.

famman

AC Members
Aug 16, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I second the panda corydoras. They are small enough you could 4. Corys like very much to be in groups.
:)

koolkatzfish

AC Members
Dec 7, 2002
Seattle
Visit site
Most mollies are captive bred, so brackish is not as necessary as it used to be, since they are raised in fresh water. If you add salt do it very gradually and don't add as much as usually reccommended. I have salted my tank during illnesses and my cories are doing fine.
The hasbrosus cory is a bottom dweller and is a minature cory about 1 inch to 1 1/4 inch long, I have a pair and they are great. The hastatus and pygmaeus cories are actually midwater fish. I have 4 of the hastatus and they almost are never on the bottom of the tank, they love my water sprite and hang out on it.
The pandas are very cute and stay fairly small for a full size cory, but are very sensitive to bad water (more so than your average cory, who also a sensitiver to bad water), so if you get them, you need to be scrupulous about water changes.
Whatever you get you will enjoy them, they just don't make uncute cories.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store