Tankmates - vivarium/water

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

5Bettamom

7 BettaMom now!!! Woot woot
Dec 15, 2006
Washington
Hi, I have a large tank that is 1/2 vivarium/water with a few fire bellied newts in it. What kind of other amphibians can I have in there? Will red eyed tree frogs get along with them? Fire bellied toads? Are there any lizard that could be happy in there and not cause any harm towards my fire bellied newts?

Thanks
Pictures of the tank will come soon

Last edited:

Aussie_hippie_2

AC Members
Sep 17, 2006
Wisconsin USA
www.myspace.com
How big is it? Get some pics please.

5Bettamom

Dec 15, 2006
Washington
It's /about/ 20 gallons. My mom wont let me use her camera, therefor I cannot get pictures right now, and my stupid camera wont upload pictures. I will see if I can..but I doubt she will say I cant..aagain..

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
It's /about/ 20 gallons. My mom wont let me use her camera, therefor I cannot get pictures right now, and my stupid camera wont upload pictures. I will see if I can..but I doubt she will say I cant..aagain..
Well, that gives you about 10 gals of terrestrial habitat or 10 gals of aquatic habitat. You could probably keep an Anole they wouldn't mind the humidity but, they need places to climb etc. They are fairly easy to keep and are a decent first herp.
cheers
Max

tepelus

AC Members
Dec 31, 2006
Fremont, Oh
i'd say it's best not to mix amphibians together of different species, cuz the toxins in one amphibs skin may be toxic to anothers. you could possibly try anoles, but it depends on how much water you have in your tank. if its a small area of water it would be fine, a large area and if the water is deep i'd say no for fear of possible drowing. they are arboreal and prefer taller homes vs. ones that are longer, but if you get an anole, you will need not only a heat source, but uv bulbs to help with the proper growth of their bones. do some googling on anoles if you are interested and read up as much as you can. otherwise, perhaps just stick with the newts.

oh, and they are very fast runners too, and may be hard to catch if they accidentally escape.

5Bettamom

Dec 15, 2006
Washington
I FINALLY FOUND A WAY TO GET THE PICTURES ON HERE! HAAAH! lol

Hereaweago...jeez I thought I would never find a way to get it here..

Untitledtank.jpg

5Bettamom

Dec 15, 2006
Washington
Oh, and I am turning more of the tank into land soon, too..

Siren

Mythological Creature
Bettamom, I would suggest setting up a completely different tank for a lizard This may work well for your newts, but anoles are going to need a better light source so they can digest their food properly. Firebelly toads could do well in the setup that you have, and as far as I know, they are compatible with newts. I would only suggest buying one, just in case you have to re-home him. Getting rid of one is easier than getting rid of 3.

5Bettamom

Dec 15, 2006
Washington
Would a Whites Tree Frog or a Red eyed tree frog work?

tepelus

AC Members
Dec 31, 2006
Fremont, Oh
whites are big tree frogs and could eat your newts if it saw one moving, and tree frogs are poor swimmers anyway, i wouldn't put them in a vivarium with lots of water, unless there is something for them to use to climb out of the water. also, they require large, tall aquariums cuz they are arboreal and like to climb.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store