What type of fish will be happy in a 35 gal hex tank. I was thinking Angel fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bwd

AC Members
Jan 25, 2007
MA
Hi
I have come into a 35 gal hex set up. I will be moving the fish in it now to a 50 gal tank in 2 days. They are to large for this set up(african cichlids). I am leaning towards angles, are there any other fish I should be considering?
Thanks for your input.

boofish2

show me your fish
Aug 5, 2006
Angelfish would work, they like the taller tanks but just one, or a mated pair otherwise you might run in to some territory issues. Rams prefer longer tanks so I'd pass on those. Perhaps if you don't get the angels a school of barbs?

Aquabach

AC Members
Feb 4, 2007
fish for HEx

Remember long tanks have less surface agitation and poorer gas exchange so make sure your filtration and water movement is good.

I am not a computability expert but I do have some ideas.
1st, Why don't you check this site for people with established 35 gal hex and see what they have? I'm sure that would be a good idea.

I really like the Angel idea but like said previously, 1, or a mated pair.
Make sure any barbs you may get aren't nippers. They may bother the angels.

Try to get fish that like long tanks, ( look up info on individual fish for that) And try to get a nice blend of swimmers. What I mean by that, is get fish that like the top, others mid range simmers and other more low.
I'd suggest some Danios for the top. I like Tinfoil barbs, for mid to bottom. They are very active, voracious eaters, hardy and although mildly aggressive, in my experience not attackers. Although they will eat alot and get in he way of timid feeders.

Dwarf Gouramis are also compatible with angels.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Hex tanks tend to be tall..angels may work but the hex also has a small footprint. as sugested a pair of angels..but it really does not give them much swim rooms..tals are nice.
I have many angels..and some like to swim ...but generally with the right structure they will hang in the area.
they should be okay in a 35 hex..

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
I agree, go with a single angel. They can be surprisingly aggressive toward other angels (even in pairs), and the smaller footprint of the hex would just make any aggression worse. If you want rams, choose m. ramirezi (blue or gold ram) instead of m. altispinosa (Bolivian ram). The Bolivians are more territorial IME, but blue/gold rams should be fine. I'd choose a school of tetras, like glowlights or pristellas, and leave the stocking at that. You'll want to stock lightly, as the smaller surface area of your tank allows for less gas exchange. The species I listed prefer planted tanks, so you may want to grab some silk plants- a deep tank is difficult to light adequately for plants, unless you go nuts and get a MH pendant light or something.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
large angels + small tetras= food
I'd be hesitant to add pristella tetras in with an angel. but larger tetras may work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store