sick oto

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Samantha Pickle

Registered Member
Apr 20, 2003
Visit site
I had two otos, acquired at the same time (about six weeks ago) that were placed into a 20-gal tank w/ 3 platys and two mollies. One developed white patches about 2 wks ago & quickly died: today I see that the remaining oto has also developed the patches. It does NOT look like ick - more like the fish has rubbed off its "scales" (I know, catfish don't have scales, but you know what I mean!). My platys & mollies have all remained very healthy throughout. Any suggestions? I hate to medicate the tank for ich when I don't think that's what it is...but I could be wrong.

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
Sounds like:
1) columnaris-I'm not sure how you'd go about treating it...
2) fungus- I don't think it is but it's worth looking into. Is it fuzzy or stringy?
3) wounds- He could've just gotten beaten up. Mollies can do that.
I'd try first though searching for columnaris and seeing what you get.

Samantha Pickle

Registered Member
Apr 20, 2003
Visit site
Thanks to both - it does look like columnaris - cotton wool kida clumps around his fins & tail. I put him in a makeshift Q. tank - which I should have done before putting him in my 20 gal, I know, but all the Q. tank is is a big bowl w/ an airstone, so I hate to try to keep a fish in there for long. Do antibiotics work for this? I have to assume the fish both had this when I got them, alth I've never had probvems w/ this fish store before - my tank is a LONG way from being crowded & I can't think of any other stress factor. I appreciate all the help - SP

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
You would have a hard time treating a bowl unfortunately. With something that small over medicating is all to easy. Also, I'm assuming the bowl isn't heated, which will just lead to more problems. The lowered temperature could kill the oto and if it doesn't, the stress factor will be great enough to let the columnaris and other parasites and diseases will plague the poor little guy.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Yeah it would be best if left where he was then find a med and just treat all of them. Dont know of any meds for this sorry never had this prob with my fish.

Samantha Pickle

Registered Member
Apr 20, 2003
Visit site
I just put him in the bowl after reading how contagious it was - I live in New Orleans, so lack of heat is not a prob (mid 80's, drops to mid 70's at night) but if there aren't any effective meds maybe it would be best to put him out of his misery. I'm glad none of my other fish are showing any symptoms - hopefully it will remain that way. Thanks again for the help - although it's kinda closing the barn door after the horse is out, I'll make sure to have a Q. tank before buying any new fish - SP

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store