Bacteria and air

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishyMatty

FishKiller
Jan 30, 2007
Milford,CT
How long can the bacteria that has grown on the gravel, rocks and wood in the tank live once removed from the aquarium?
I did some re-arranging in one of my tanks today and I removed some gravel to use in a new aquarium that I'm setting up tomorrow. Will it survive in a sealed plastic bag?
Matt

Sammie7

Get funky wit it!
May 28, 2006
Florida
Is it still wet? I'm pretty sure that they won't survive since they need flowing water and fresh O2 to live. Couldn't you have left it in the tank? You should have put it in a pantyhose and rested it on top of the existing gravel. That way it would get fresh water and O2 and you could take it out easily. No matter just put that gravel back and get some fresh gravel from what was left in the tank.

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
as long as it stays completely wet, it will be good. if its in a sealed bag, toss some aquarium water in it.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Not only does it need to remain wet and have O2, but it also needs food- ie ammonia.

Sammie7

Get funky wit it!
May 28, 2006
Florida
I'm sure there was probably some left over debris in with though.

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
As long as the gravel is MOIST it will be fine. The bacteria should be fine without food for a day. Our beneficial bacteria is much tougher than most people think. I've instantly cycled several tanks using established sponges that were in a ziplock with a splash of tank water overnight.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store