blue tang rubbing it self on rocks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bahamiangirl

AC Members
Jan 29, 2007
It is in my 180 gallon tank. What should i do . I dont have a qt i need to get one but can't right now what should i do. i have a 20 gal i thin it is but isn't that to small for thay tang .
If I take them out and put my fish in the 20 gal what should i treat them with and what should I do with my 180 gal to get ride of it?

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
If its itching itself against the rocks, i would probably says its white spot..Has it got tiny white spots ( stating the obvious there ) over its body...????

Can you get a picture of it?

Niko

Bianca

AC Members
Feb 9, 2007
My friend has a blue tang they are known for being the ich kings of the tang family . Hers had ich untill she got a UV that hung on back of tank .
Her yellow tang never got it but her blue tang had it here and there untill the UV .
They do have treatments like cupramine that work but if its a reef tank than you cant use it. NONE of the reef safe natural treatments ever worked for her . Her water quality is great but the blue tang was an ich magnet .
180 tank is great for your tang .

TomToro

The Old Guy
Oct 21, 2006
Michigan
s122.photobucket.com
Mine had ich too and the folks on this board suggested soaking the food in garlic extract. I have a reef tank and didn't want to put any chemicals in. I did this for two weeks and it worked very well. In fact, all the fish looked better. Now I soak all the food in a couple of drops of the extract. I know it sounds like snake oil, but it worked for me. They can survive this. Mine did twice in 5 years. He's scarred up, but alive and eating like a pig.

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
It is in my 180 gallon tank. What should i do . I dont have a qt i need to get one but can't right now what should i do. i have a 20 gal i thin it is but isn't that to small for thay tang .
If I take them out and put my fish in the 20 gal what should i treat them with and what should I do with my 180 gal to get ride of it?
First off, I would make sure it's ich. Sometimes tangs (especially the blue tang) just like to flick off of the rocks. Are there any other symptoms you could give us? Is your tang doing this more often than it used to? You could set up a quick QT tank and use some media from your main tank to cycle your QT. If it is ich, your hippo (or powder blue) will probably be the first to show it.

Germanman

My fish are my babies
First off, I would make sure it's ich. Sometimes tangs (especially the blue tang) just like to flick off of the rocks. Are there any other symptoms you could give us? Is your tang doing this more often than it used to? You could set up a quick QT tank and use some media from your main tank to cycle your QT. If it is ich, your hippo (or powder blue) will probably be the first to show it.
i agree with 5xevy. also UVs work well for prevent the spread of the free swimming form of ich

Bahamiangirl

AC Members
Jan 29, 2007
thank you

I used fresh garlic pressed it then put water in it then poured the water in the tank i havent seen him do it since i been doing this. I have a black and white stripe damsel and a emperor snapper they are all small. I also have a uv on my 350 magnum.
I am now getting looks like brown green and red-purpleist algea in my tank what is going on? Its all over the back glass.
My lights be on from 5-11 with blue come on 45 mins before white and 45 mins after they go off.
All my test come out with 0 ph 8.2.

TomToro

The Old Guy
Oct 21, 2006
Michigan
s122.photobucket.com
I used fresh garlic pressed it then put water in it then poured the water in the tank i havent seen him do it since i been doing this. I have a black and white stripe damsel and a emperor snapper they are all small. I also have a uv on my 350 magnum.
I am now getting looks like brown green and red-purpleist algea in my tank what is going on? Its all over the back glass.
My lights be on from 5-11 with blue come on 45 mins before white and 45 mins after they go off.
All my test come out with 0 ph 8.2.
I bought my garlic extract from a health food store and only used a couple of drops per feeding. I think it can introduce too many nutrients otherwise. Use very sparingly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store